cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
joannew
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

envy 4527 saga continues: now not printing at all printer error message.

HP Recommended
Envy 4527
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The last 4 months have been a catalogue of printing issues that are seeing me spend increasing amounts of money on instant ink but not actually printing anything useful. The most common problem is that randomly it will stop printing in colour; a problem caused by seemingly nothing with no changes to settings and most often no system updates etc. and usually only solvable by uninstalling and reinstalling the printer at least 4 times before miraculously working again. 

This week however it decided to pull a "spooling" stunt and sent me back to the forums to look for all the solutions to spooling errors and how to actually delete print jobs from my laptop. This took me around 4 hours and involved me removing any trace of the printer from the system fully from every conceivable folder and reinstalling again about 6 times while my children  were left to forage for food and took full advantage of the opportunity to set up a gladatorial arena in my living room. while I printed out multiple test pages only to have it spool on the next job. 

Eventually persistence beat resistance and it finally gave in and stopped spooling everything.... but colour disappeared again.

Today I tried to once more enter a battle of wills uninstalling and reinstalling drivers to try and get my colours back given that I am paying for these ink cartridges monthly. But then encountered problems reinstalling the printer on the 3rd try. It appeared that HP Smart was finding my printer, setting it up but not fully installing it. I once more came to these posts and followed the full carry on of deleting HP from apps, removing printer from devices, searching for hidden folders and deleting all those, removing all print jobs, restarting computer multiple times, running the print settings and services and all the other options that I had never heard of but dutifully followed regardless. Managed to finally get the blasted thing installed after a good 4 and a half hours.... but it still won't print! Test prints go to print task manager and almost as quickly a message pops up to tell me "printing error" with no further detail. The print task list just claims error, again no further details to be found. 

I can scan and print the printables such as lined paper direct from the printer but nothing from the laptop despite uninstalling and installing a further 3 times tonight. I am really at a loss as now I cannot print any of my children's resources nor anything for my work and there seems to be no clear solution for any HP envy problem other than uninstall and reinstall with HP not addressing the fact that even this is hit and miss. Rather unhelpfully this evening I also got an email from HP Instant Ink kindly telling me that I was 3 pages away from my package limit and should consider throwing even more money into this so I can have the joy of wasting more money on test pages. There were tears. Does any one have any advice on how I can work some voodoo into this machine (or even just some shared experience of frustration to make me feel slightly less irrational). Thanks if you got this far.  

3 REPLIES 3
Jay_G24
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,918 10,888 797 893
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @joannew,

I'd like to help!

Follow the below version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference. If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install the printer using the TCP/IP port:

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing in color.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know-how. Try printing.

Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Let me know. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

0 Kudos
joannew
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jay, 

thanks for replying. For now, since this post the printer is printing in colour, not spooling and has stayed recognised by the laptop. So fingers crossed the next updates don't cause as many issues! I have replied to your email. thank you. 

0 Kudos
joannew
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oh no, I had around 2 glorious weeks of printing (with HP constantly reminding me that I'd used more than my basic allowance of prints!) and today I went to print off my son's maths work and nothing. First it joined the spooling queue, I stopped and restarted the spooler, it refused to delete the item. I restarted the computer tried to print the document again and for some bizarre reason the printing "print" button would grey out when pressed but the window would not disappear and nothing joined the print queue. The only thing I was able to do at this point is cancel. hp not working again.png

I have tried running the HP doctor from HP Smart app and it claims it cannot find the printer despite displaying the name and image of the printer and allowing me to print a test page which comes out fine- another wasted page! 
But when I go back to any document it refuses to send it to the print list. 
At one point I restarted the laptop and tried again and it joined the spool queue again, once again restarting the spooler allowed me to delete it off the task list but then trying to print the page again it once again didn't send to the print list. 
I've checked for recent updates to see if anything is incompatible but I've had nothing updated at all since 11/1/21 so this is not due to an update conflict, this is plain and simple HP printers not working and scamming people out of instant ink subscriptions. I can't believe I've spent another day on this and my son has not been able to do any of his maths or English.  I've also now got to explain to tutees why the work I am supposed to be mailing out to them won't be coming. As soon as I've taken a hammer to this envy I'll be heading off back to Epson and cancelling my subscription because this is ridiculous and even a cursory glance on google shows this is a recurring problem and people are being advised to uninstall and reinstall their printers every fortnight. Really disappointed. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation