Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8710

Having difficulty unlocking the security settings 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey @Javier1st,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having some issues with the security settings on your Officejet 8710 e-All-in-One Printer. I can help you with that.

I am going to send you some directions in a private message. You should see it arrive in a private message in your forum inbox shortly. 

Please let me know if this allows you to unlock the security settings on your printer. If it does, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

This is crazy that this is automatically locked. I need the same information ASAP.  Please post the information so others can find it. 

Help me me know where the "forum inbox" will be if you do send it there.

HP Recommended

I finally was able to get help from a chat support. For others out there here are the steps that I was sent to reset the printer.

11:27 AM   Harry: 

We will now do the Semifull reset on the printer. This will reset the printer and restore the printer back to it's factory setting.
1.Press back arrow curve key or the return arrow curve ( on bottom left outside the printer screen) key 4 times, in sequence even if it is not lit up.
2.Touch Support Menu.
3.Press Right arrow for Reset Menu and Touch OK.
4.Press Right arrow for Semi-Full Reset and Touch OK.
5.Wait for unit to Power Down/Turn Off.
6.Press Power button to turn the Printer On.

The curved arrow key was not lit but I pushed where it was 4 times and that did get me into the support menu. It also was not locked after going through these steps

Good luck for other people needing help on this.

HP Recommended

Another solution is to touch the network icon on the control panel to display the printer IP address. Then open a browser to that IP address to access the printer's web user interface.

Click Settings, scroll down and open the + next to Security, click Administrator Settings, scroll down to Control Panel Lock and uncheck Control Panel Lock and Control Panel Shortcuts, then click Apply. All settings should now be available at the control panel. 

Some settings are only available in the control panel. I used this procedure to unlock the Sound Effects Volume so I could mute the audible that occurred after printing every document.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for providing the solution to "unlocking" the printer features. After spending two full days trying to locate any answer from the HP website, removal and re-installation as directed, blah, blah, blah... even reading about the "real"solution being confidential! Hogwash! You had the balls to put it up for all to see. If only I hadn't found it in the last place I looked - as usual! Thanks a lot Bpspider! Very much appreciated.

Tenderfoot77

HP Recommended

Thank you very much this worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.