Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
inkjet 6978
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

cartridge carrier stuck on right side - cannot manually move.  I left empty color and black cartridges in printer for a while w/o printing for a couple of weeks with printer always powered on.  already tried hard reset and firmware is current. 

Is this problem caused by empty cartridges if so would installing new cartridges resolve or is this a mechanical issue.

Please reply soon need to use printer!!

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@joekapp

Welcome to the HP support community.

Check for obstructions in the carriage path

Remove any loose paper or obstructions that might be blocking the carriage path.

1. Turn off the printer, and then disconnect the power cord.

2. Open the cartridge access door to get to the carriage inside the printer.

EXAMPLES OF A CARTRIDGE ACCESS DOOR

Examples of printer door locations
  3. Look for and remove any obstructions in the carriage path, such as crumpled paper or dislodged labels.

EXAMPLE OF A PRINTER WITH AN OBSTRUCTION IN THE CARRIAGE PATH

Example of a printer with paper debris in the carriage path
  4. If the carriage has a latch, gently press it down to make sure it is locked into place.

CAUTION: 

Ink tank printers: If the carriage latch is secured, do not press down on it. Doing so might damage the printer.

EXAMPLES OF THE CARRIAGE LATCH

Example of the carriage latches
  5. If the carriage is not locked in place, move it to each side, removing any obstructions blocking its path.

CAUTION: 

Do not force the carriage to move if it is locked or stuck. This can damage the printer.

6. Close the printer door.

7. Reconnect the power cord, and then turn on the printer.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have followed all the instructions in the HP database for a stuck cartridge carriage. It does not resolve the issue.  There is nothing on the track. The only thing I notice is the cartridges have been empty.  Can this create the issue?

HP Recommended

@joekapp

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.