Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp officejet pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I printed Quality Diagnostic Page and see white lines across colored blocks in Test Pattern 3. I cleaned the printhead using the setup menu and printed Diagnostic Page again but still see same white lines. Was I supposed to take the printer cartridges out before cleaning the printhead?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, 

In step 8, Clean Printhead is not about physical cleaning of the printhead, but its a internal routine that the printer performs.

Clean Printhead should be done while the cartridges are in the printhead. What you have done is correct.

I'd suggest replace any of the ink cartridges whose ink level is less than 25%., especially those colored blocks where you see white lines in them.

If issue still exists ( white lines in test pattern 3.1 ), then follow steps mentioned in Solution 8 and 9.

I'd suggest getting  a new printer. 

If you are in USA , you might be provided with an Upgrade option. Call 1-800-474-6836

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello,

Please click HERE to access the steps that should resolve the issue .

Regards,
Jabzi

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have already been to that link. I need to know if, in Step 8, I should be removing the ink cartridges before cleaning the printhead. I cleaned without removing the print cartidges and print quality is still poor.

Thank you,

Kate

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have already been to that link. I need to know if, in Step 8, I should be removing the ink cartridges before cleaning the printhead. I cleaned without removing the print cartidges and print quality is still poor.

Thank you,

Kate

HP Recommended

Hello, 

In step 8, Clean Printhead is not about physical cleaning of the printhead, but its a internal routine that the printer performs.

Clean Printhead should be done while the cartridges are in the printhead. What you have done is correct.

I'd suggest replace any of the ink cartridges whose ink level is less than 25%., especially those colored blocks where you see white lines in them.

If issue still exists ( white lines in test pattern 3.1 ), then follow steps mentioned in Solution 8 and 9.

I'd suggest getting  a new printer. 

If you are in USA , you might be provided with an Upgrade option. Call 1-800-474-6836

Regards,
Jabzi

HP Recommended

No. you don't have to take the ink cartridge out before running the clean printhead routine.

If you still see the white line int he diagnostice page after the first cleaning routine, you may need to run it a few more times to clear the clogged nozzle.

Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem.

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution Smiley Happy .
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think you can check your cartrideg level first, to see whether the poor printing quality is because of low ink level or because or printhead damage.

This link may helps you: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8610-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367603/docume...

If the printing quality still very bad after you tried, you can change a new cartridge and print the test page again to see whether this is the printhead issue. If this is due to printhead problem, you can print out the printer status report to check printhead warranty and if still in warranty, can replace with a good one from hp.

I am an HP employee.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Thanks for choosing to seek clarification through HP Support Forum. You seem to be facing a print quality issue. Let me guide you through and hopefully we could rectify it.

For a start, please check the Estimated Ink Level inside your cartridge. You can do so through the Control Panel by following these steps:

1. Swipe across the screen and select "Setup"
2. Go to "Tools" 
3. Select "Display Estimated Ink Levels" 

If you Ink Level drops below 25%, I would like you to consider getting your cartridge replaced with a new one. 

In the event, you have well above 25% of Ink, then I would like you to perform a "Printhead Maintenance". This procedure should not take more than 2 minutes.

You may do this by following the steps below:

1. Load a media (A4) on the input tray
2.  Swipe across the screen and select "Setup"

3. Go to "Tools" 
4. Finally, select "Clean Printhead"

Also, do take note that turning off printers incorrectly may at times cause print quality issues as well. I hope you would try these steps and let me know if you could rectify the problem. Once again, thank you for choosing HP Support Forums.

Happy Printing!

Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for providing a phone number for support! I couldn't find one anywhere on the site.

They were able to troubleshoot a little more and determine that the printhead needs to be replaced. Luckily, my machine is less than a year old so this is under warranty and I should receive the new part at no charge in 5-7 business days!

REALLY appreciate your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.