Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp9020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my hp9020 printer loses contact with my lenovo desktop after not being used for a period of time.  The two are connected by a usb cable

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @mtgfsi,

I'd like to help!

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor specifically created to help with printer offline conditions.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
  3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.
    • If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.
  5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

If the issue persists,  Try the below suggestions-

Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable

To reset the connection between the printer and computer, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer.

Figure : Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer

Image: Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable from the computer.

3. Wait five seconds.

4. Reconnect the USB cable to the printer and the computer. Apply some pressure to secure the connections.

5. Make sure that the USB cable is connected correctly.

Figure : Connect the smaller end of the USB cable to the rear of the printer

Image: Connect the smaller end of the USB cable to the rear of the printer.

Figure : Connect the larger end of the USB cable to the computer

Image: Connect the larger end of the USB cable to the computer.
  6. Try the installation again.

Test the USB connection

1. Move the USB cable to another available USB port. For example, if the USB cable is plugged in front of the computer, move it to a port in the back of the computer.

2. Restart the computer and the printer.

3. Try the installation again.

Try the steps in the document -https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02266743

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.