Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a

Hi there,

I just upgraded my Mac to macOS 11.0.1 on Friday 13th. Since then, my Officejet Pro 8600 refuses to print. The message in the macOS printer queue is "waiting for printer to become available" - which it never does. 

I have installed and reinstalled the latest version of the printer driver, dating Thursday 12th. Doesn't help one bit. 

HELP??!!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. I did follow the instructions on the hp site for a new driver, valid for macOS 11.0 (Big Sur), however, that did not make any difference at all.

Once I restart the laptop, it does print a doc that was still there waiting in the hp queue from before the restart, and that print even starts before the laptop shows the login screen.

After that, the same issue: every print gets on the queue and the message is "waiting for the printer to become available".

I have a Macbook Pro 2017, Big Sur 11.0.1.

HP Recommended

Same issue as well:  scanning works fine; I get the waiting on printer message.

HP Recommended

A solution was suggested here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/Re-Once-again-Print-doesn-t...

However: that does not work either for me, same problem still exists: waiting to become available.....

PLEASE, HP, give us a working suggestion?

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue for 1516 printer in Big Sur 11.0.1

HP Recommended

I have also posted this in the Apple Community.

This was one response from someone else https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252049211?answerId=253981596022&login=true :

"Spent half an hour with an apple tech trying to fix this - basically HP ain't updating older printer drivers for Big Sur - and there is no transfer of existing drivers to Big Sur. My HP is from 2014 and the drivers only go up to OS 10.x not 11.

Your choice... ? either a new printer or go back to previous OS - sorry to let you know. Didn't fancy seeing my OS gradually becoming obsolete - So I bit the bullet and ordered a printer even though nothing wrong with existing one.

Shame on HP and Apple - no prior warning at all - and no awareness in customer services - had to work it out from scratch -

It cost me a contract no being able to scan and send my passport - Neither apple nor HP are interested in environment or customer costs - just profit - perfectly good printer going in the bin. Shame on them!!!"

PLEASE: HP, tell me this is not true and that you do have a driver update for Big Sur?????????? Are you seriously keeping silent while all older model clients are having frustrations, spending useless time while having no printing options, and gradually finding out that HP is hoping we will buy new printers???

HP Recommended

hi , i have an hp Deskjet printer 2645 all in one printer for years ago and once i update the new verion of  big sur , one week now i receive the same message, I got a "waiting for printer to become available" error. I read in to many forums and tried too many things ( i Download HP Uninstaller.zip  , and reinstall the hp software 4 times ) but no luck , i see in apple support this HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS

i install it he doesn't do anything . The printer doesn't print even the test page, so I know it is reading my Mac and can assume it's not the USB cable .

i go to Printers & Scanners panel  and select Reset Printing system but still receive the same msg every time 

please help urgently , i need it for my studies

What can I do?

HP Recommended

HP: PLEASE solve this - what is going on?

Do we all need to buy a printer form a different brand?

This issue is going on now for  more than 3 months, no solutions that can work yet.

Please - SOLVE IT?

HP Recommended

I am having same issue with an HP PRO 8600...  Yet my Brother which is 2 years older is having NO ISSUES>. Guess this will be the last HP printer I ever own (And I bought it thinking I was getting a better product... it isn't)

HP Recommended

I tend to have the same conclusion.

HP people contacted me but so far that did not result in improvements.

I tried the new HP Smart release, downloaded that - no solution either.

I am on the verge of throwing away the printer and never buying any HP product again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.