Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
laserjet pro m102w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

printer no detect.jpg

I know the computer detects it as it will bring up the general device driver installation window but can't finish(as usual), nor does it give me any option to search my pc for a driver. So this is where I am stuck.  I just got this used so I've never verified it works.  Currently it's on with the orange exclamation mark icon blinking.  Any ideas? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is not a printer cartridge on the last picture, that is imaging drum.

To remove imaging drum you need to remove the toner first, you probably are missing toner cartridge CF217A.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05205359 

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

To update I just continued past that screen above anyway and installed the drivers and then tried to print a test page and got this: 

cartridge missing.jpg

and so then I tried reinstalling the cartridge a couple times.  It didn't feel or appear to be faulty in any way. Here it is:

black hp cartridge.jpg

Any way to bypass this message and get this thing to print? Thanks

HP Recommended

That is not a printer cartridge on the last picture, that is imaging drum.

To remove imaging drum you need to remove the toner first, you probably are missing toner cartridge CF217A.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05205359 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

oh thanks.  Had no idea how these work.  Why two parts? my other laserjet I guess has both parts combined into one cartridge, like you'd expect right?  Anyway, okay, so the cartridge doesn't have ink? what is it's purpose?

HP Recommended

They separated imaging drum and toner cartridge to lower price on a new toner.

Compare prices for toner for M102W ( CF217A) and toner for your old printer model.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Ah, so the cartridge has the toner and the drum just does something physically to apply it and shouldn't have to be replaced ever? Wonder why it's removable

HP Recommended

Well I have a full color Laserjet the m452nw and yeah, I k ow the cartridges are expensive so I just got bulk toner to replenish the cartridges, only prob is the printer never knows I have toner apparently until I put a new cartridge in so I have to tell it "OK" a bunch of times to get through the confirmations on the low toner before using the dang thing. If you happen to know a trick for that let me know

HP Recommended

You need to replace a drum on an M102w every 12000 printed pages, toner every 1600 pages so when you empty around 7-8 toner cartridges the drum needs to be replaced.

The printer will inform you when the drum is at the end of its life.

My profile on LinkedIn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.