Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
office jet 4655
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

office jet 4655 prints thick black line over and over again on separate sheets of paper.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sybok33

Welcome to the HP support community.

Did you make a copy and check if that copies fine?

Meanwhile:-

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report

1. Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools.

4. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.

If the issue persists in the print quality report, follow the below steps:-

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzles

1. Gather the following materials:

• Dry foam-rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that does not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well)

• Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the ink cartridges)

CAUTION: 

Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the ink cartridge contacts. These can damage the ink cartridge or the printer.

2. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

3. Gently grasp the handles on either side of the printer, then raise the ink cartridge access door until it locks into place.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

Image: Opening the ink cartridge access door.

4. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

5. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

6. Disconnect the USB cable, if it is connected.

7. To release the ink cartridge, lift the lid on the ink cartridge slot, then gently push the lid back until it stops.

8. Pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

CAUTION: 

Do not remove both ink cartridges at the same time. Remove and then clean each ink cartridge one at a time. Do not leave an ink cartridge outside the printer for more than 30 minutes.

1. Lift the lid

2. Gently push the lid back

3. Pull up on the ink cartridge

9. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Image: Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Image: Do not touch the contacts or nozzles.

10. Lightly moisten a foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

11. Clean the face and edges around the ink nozzle with the swab.

CAUTION: 

Do not clean the ink nozzle plate.

Image: The ink nozzle and ink cartridge contacts.

1. Nozzle plate - Do not clean

2. Area surrounding ink nozzle - Do clean

3. Ink cartridge contacts - Do not clean

12. Either let the ink cartridge sit for 10 minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab to dry it.

13. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer, then slide the ink cartridge forward into the slot.

14. Close the lid on the ink cartridge slot to secure the ink cartridge into place.

Image: Inserting the ink cartridges

Insert the ink cartridge
    2. Close the lid

3. The color ink cartridge is on the left, and the black ink cartridge is on the right

15. Repeat these steps to clean, then reinsert the other ink cartridge.

16. Close the ink cartridge access door.

17. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

18. Turn on the printer, if it does not turn on automatically.

19. Try to print again, and examine the page.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That does nothing.  Let me restate the problem:  the printer is printing a thick black line, over and over again on multiple sheets of paper until the paper runs out.  I can hit the cancel button to stop it, but in a minute or two it just starts again.  It's as if a printer job is stuck in the queue, but this job doesn't appear when I bring the queue up on the computer.  Is it on the printer's internal queue?  Maybe.  I know this does not happen if the computer is turned off and only the printer is turned on (the computer is an HP as well).

HP Recommended

@sybok33

There is no such internal print queue. Let us try these steps:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Re-insert the ink cartridges.

Monitor the printer, if the issue persists, 

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

Let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.