Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6978

I am receiving an error "only one set of ink ready cartridges etc..."  I have read a number of posts (given, not all) sand they seem to reference simple trouble shooting or using the trial cartridges.  So, I have four of the 6978 printers.  One of them simply stopped printing black - I replaced it until I had time to trouble shoot - it has been setting unplugged for a couple of months.   I took the cartridges out of the unit so there would be no gravity drain on the ink.  Today I finally re-installed the cartridges, plugged in the unit and it cycled with the ink error.  These are NOT trial cartridges.  I then took cartridges out of a perfectly functioning unit and received the same message - re-installed both sets of cartridges in another 6978 and they work fine.  To the best of my knowledge I have never signed up for instant ink on any of the four printers (never been billed and it isn't listed under my subscriptions)  - I'd really like to get this unit working as a back up.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Nacron99, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

To assist you better, what is the exact error message?

Are you using HP genuine ink cartridges?

For now, perform the steps mentioned in this document.

If the printer is not enrolled in Instant Ink, you may use the regular HP ink cartridges to print.

If the issue persists, click here to know how to turn off web services. Now, try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The exact message is: "Only one set of Instant Ink Ready cartridges can be used in a printer. Remove and replace with other cartridges."  To the best of my knowledge  I have no printers enrolled in the Instant Ink program (this type of issue is one of the reasons) - all ink cartridges are genuine HP cartridges.  This printer was initially taken off-line because it would not print black.  The original ink cartridges were placed in another unit and worked flawlessly - new HP cartridges were installed in this unit and it (again) would not print black and was removed from service.   To overcome this "new" error I have tried new cartridges, and two sets from other units which were working and continue to work after the cartridges were re-installed.  

Thank you for your assistance. 

HP Recommended

@Nacron99

In this case, turn off web services and check if that helps. Click here to know how to turn off web services.

If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the replacement ink cartridges for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Turning off web-services did not help nor did completly removing network settings from the printer or turning off the router/modem to insure no data was transferred between HP and the printer.  I also confirmed I am not enrolled in any instant-ink subscription.   The unit is out of warranty and I don't expect assistance for the support team so I am discarding the printer (actually, I'm shopping to replace all of them with a different brand - I'm ok with hardware malfunctions - things break but, this issue really isn't hardware and I can't afford for the next update to bring down the other three printers.  

thank you for your time and effort.  

HP Recommended

@Nacron99

I understand your concern. Let me escalate this issue to the concerned team.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.