Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3520
Microsoft Windows XP

I replaced the black cartridge and after printing only two pages it has failed to print black.  I have cleaned the ink cartridges several times.  I have tried three black cartridges all of which show ink is present but fail to print black.  I have tried a hard reset.  This present printer is a replacement (only a few months ago) for a printer which developed exactly the same fault.  Would you please let me know -

1.  What is the cause of this issue?

2. How do I resolve this issue?

Many thanks

Bill R

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@paperclip99

Welcome to HP support community.

Make sure the ink cartridges are properly vented

1. Open the ink cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the access area.

Open the ink cartridge access door

2. Press the tab on the front of the ink cartridge inward to release it, and then pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

• If the error message mentions a specific ink cartridge, locate that ink cartridge, remove it from the carriage, and then continue with the next step.

• If the error message does not mention a specific ink cartridge, remove all the ink cartridges, one at a time, and then continue with the next step.

Remove the ink cartridge

3. Examine the vent area on each ink cartridge, above the HP logo on the top of the ink cartridge.

Image of the ink cartridge vent area

4. If the ink cartridge still has the orange pull-tab attached, pull to remove it.

Orange pull tab

5. If the vent is clogged, use a straight pin to gently remove excess adhesive from the vent.

1. Clogged vent

2. With a straight pin, gently remove excess adhesive from the vent

3. Unclogged vent

6. With the nozzle and the contacts facing down, push the ink cartridge into its slot. Press down on the ink cartridge until it clicks into place. Make sure that the color icon on the ink cartridge label matches the color icon on the slot.

Insert the ink cartridge

7. Repeat these steps to inspect the vents on each of the ink cartridges.

8. Make sure each ink cartridge is firmly in place in its slot. Run your finger along the top of the ink cartridges to feel for any that are protruding, and if any are, press down firmly until each ink cartridge snaps into place.

9. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Close the ink cartridge access door

10. Try the print job again.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Cannot find a vent hole.  The air vent indicated on the schematic is solid plastic part of the casing of the cartridge - and that is the same for 9 cartridges I have.  Indeed the new black cartridge from which I had only 2 pages before it stopped working should not have become clogged?  Help please.

HP Recommended

@paperclip99

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.