Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office jet Pro 8500 a910
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My printer will not print in black / colour is fine

I have applied the procedure described in  https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03956792/  No success whatsoever !

As per the " auto test diagnostic page " , the ink levels are ok . The print heads have been " self cleaned " in the machine and and manually by taking them out and delicately cleaning the nozzles.

Has anybody got an idea  on how to get the machine printing ALSO in BLACK ?

F.Y.I. The last print job I did was a colour map plus black text. No problem. And now, a few days later, no black is been printed. I have not changed anything since the colour map.

Thank's for any brilliant idea and have a nice week-end

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Can you copy in black? That will eliminate computer or printer related issue.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Good afternoon Valsimot.

Yes I can copy, I tested on a document with both colour and black. The result is a total failure

Black option ==>> nothing came out

Colour option ==>> the colour part came out fine, the black : nothing was printed,  just a few scribble in the bottom part of the page.

Any other idea ?

HP Recommended

What is an expiration date on your black/yellow printhead?  It should be on a printheads side label.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Both my printheads are beyond expiration date . The black / yellow date is July 2012. Yes, eight years ago. But I do not think that this is the issue.

Indeed I printed with no problem a short table with blue , red, yellow and green boxes plus short text in black and colour letters. The colours came out fine including yellow that is produced  via the same printhead as black .  

My problem is elsewhere , but where ? What do you think ? 

Tks for assistance

HP Recommended

It's the black-yellow printhead 99%.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

@Valsimot wrote:

It's the black-yellow printhead 99%.

Please can you elaborate, give more explanation ?

HP Recommended

Printhead failed, it happens. The printheads must be regularly replaced, you probably are still using the one that came with the new printer.  More printheads customers replace more money for manufacturers.

You have a few good videos on YT how to disassemble printhead and how to recover them.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thank you Valsimot  for your input. So I am afraid that your clue about the print head is, alas correct. Ideally I would have to change it and presumably the other one also in a while. Indeed they are as ’old’ as the printer.

Considering the price in my part of the world (75 to 80 EUR each),  I am not going to increase the wealth of Messrs H.P. To bad for them but this price is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I’ll keep on printing, in blue, red or green which looks nice in any case, until my cartridges are empty and then I'll get a brand new and modern machine, not so cumbersome, without fax that I don't need nowadays. I’ve seen that "my sister" in Japan has some affordable options. So bye bye Uncle Sam .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.