Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP officejet PRO 6978

So I have an HP Office Jet pro 6978 reconditioned printer.. (out of warranty)

(my OS system is Windows 10 but I do not think that is the issue - I think it is mechancial with the printer unit.)

I need some assistance.

I have been working from home since March 2020 and it is getting a lot of use. I did not replace the colour ink as not worth it and was using only the black. I decided to replace the colour ink cartridges last week + this is my 3rd black one since March 2020. (MISTAKE NO. 1 – I should have just kept using the black and returned the colour inks and got my $ back)

I noticed the colour was not printing correctly – no BLUE at all – I did a test and again no blue ink.

I went on line – it suggested to either manually or automatically clean the printer heads etc. So I did the automatic 2 times as suggested – nothing.. the messages said “The cleaning process was unsuccessful. For more information, visit the HP support website” so I did… then I tried the alignment (also a suggestion). (MISTAKE no. 2 – should have just put my printer on default NO COLOUR and kept on using it… .as is ) BECAUSE it totally failed.

Message “ PRINTER FAILURE – “there is a problem with the printer or the print system” Turn the printer off then on. If you continue to get this message contact HP 0x6100004a”

SO I tried to do that and it would NOT SHUT OFF. Again on line at HP suggested a hard reset. Unplug power wait 60 sec and replug. I did that and the printer then said you can damage ir if you do that so really !!

I scrolled though the options on the printer screen and thought I will download any updates (has been awhile). That was successful. Still error message.. still telling me paper is jammed when no paper. I cannot move the printer carriage holding cartridges (jammed to the right side)

So I though I will shut it down again (with the on off button) it has been 12 hours and the screen is still showing a moving circle saying the machine is “shutting down” but it is not.

At this point I do not care about the colour printing. I just want the printer to work until I can use my last 2 black cartridges – the one I just installed plus the extra one I Have as that alone is a bout $100 I will have wasted if I have to buy a new printer now – not to mention the $100 wasted on the 3 colour ink ones.

I do not know what else to do at this point.   All I know is I need a functioning printer for my work.

Many thanks,

LITSA1968

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Litsa1968, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thank you for the detailed information. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

Yes, I'm afraid this seems like a hardware failure. If you have tried the steps mentioned in this document - 'Printer Failure' Error, and the error persists, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the assistance.  I did manage to hurn it off and on...the printer failure message is gone but now it says the yellow cartridge us damaged but the entire carriage is jammed and stuck to the right.

Like i said  if I had just not done the Autocleaning..kept using the black in

.it would have still kept on working.

So i just wish this had happened before  installed $ 200 of ink 

HP Recommended

@Litsa1968

I understand your concern. You may perform the steps from this document to resolve a carriage jam issue. If the issue persists, the printer has failed and you may have to buy a new one.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.