Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OFFICEJET PRO 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer has worked by wifi exclusively for about 1 year since new.  Suddenly about 3-4 days ago, kept dropping offline when idle for a while, always showing a strong wifi signal and no error messages.  print requests would show as printing, but would hang up and never print. printing 'hourglass' would just keep indicating that it was attempting to print.  Had to turn off the machine by pulling the plug, because pressing the power button would do nothing.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@KC714

Welcome to the HP support community.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer is not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

3. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

4. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

5. Try to print.

Assign a manual IP address and that should fix the issue.

1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.

2. From the home screen on the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

3. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Reports.

4. Touch Network Configuration Report.

Setting a Static IP Address

Once you know your printer’s IP address, entering it is pretty easy. Here’s what you do:

HP Printer Static IP Address

1. Run your Web browser.
  2. In the Web browser’s address bar, type the IP address of your printer and press Enter. Assuming you entered the right address, the HP printer control panel should appear.
  3. Click the Networking tab.
  4. Under Connections, click Wireless.
  5. Under IP Address Configuration, click Manual IP.
  6. Enter the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the appropriate boxes.
  7. Click Apply.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had the same problem. Was running HP Print & Scan Doctor 5.0.6 everyday. Your suggestion SEEMS to have worked. We'll see after I restart tomorrow. For now, I have work to do.

HP Recommended

@EdInBham

Welcome to the HP support community.

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.