Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I've tried all the HP recommended fixes, but still show printer "offline" and cannot print.  Printer is connected to my home wireless network and so are my laptops(one windows 8 and one an apple laptop).  I unplugged my router and printer, but didn't help.  Printer is connected to my home wireless network.  HP Print and Scan Doctor didn't work either.  Just says my printer is turned off(it's on and connected to wireless network).  This is the first time this has happened.  If I can't fix it, I'll have to buy a new wireless printer.  It doesn't look like anything is wrong with printer or laptops.  Only thing I can think of is router is too far away from printer, but this has never been a problem the last 4 years.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try using a TCP/IP port?

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port
https://goo.gl/BBI671

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

I added a TCP/IP port.  When I printed a test page, it would not print.  Printer had Status: Error(see attached screen shots).

I tried solving the problem by removing the printer and the printer driver.  I tried installing the printer and driver, but during install computer could not find my printer.

I removed the printer and driver again.  Now, I get two errors on my laptop(see attached).  The error "IWD Bus enumerator has a driver problem" and don't have a printer driver.

My printer is connected to the wireless network in my home.  I'm spending hours trying to connect my printer.  I'm going to shop for a new printer.laptop error screen.PNGerror message installing printer.PNGlaptop error screen when printing.PNG

HP Recommended

I was able to remove the IWD Bus Enumerator file that was not working.

I was able to add my printer.  Could not print, got error message.  I could not add printer driver.

laptop can't upload printer driver.PNGprint error and no driver.PNG

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try this:

* *Note that if there are other printers installed, these will need to be reinstalled after this.

Step 1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.

Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)
https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02259020

Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.
Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

Step 2. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
• Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
• Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
• From the Start menu or the Start screen:
• Open Devices and Printers.
• Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
• Click on the Drivers tab.

Step 3. Backup your registry before making any registry changes, the following resource will show you how:
https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724

Step 4. Update the registry using the Reg file below
Note: this will change some printer related policies for your PC):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1

Step 5. Right click the Start menu and select Run.
Type Services.msc and press OK.
Locate and stop the Print Spooler service

Step 6. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers.
Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old
Rename x64 to x64.old
Note: if any of these folders fail to rename reboot your PC and then Continue following the steps starting from Step 4.

Step 7. Restart PC.

Step 8. Finally, reinstall the HP Software.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

I'm on Step 6 and cannot rename W32X86 to W32x86.old(see photo)

I've tried everything, but "rename" is not an option.  I right clicked, left clicked, highlighted, etc. and there is no rename option.  I can't delete or type over either.  How do I rename the file??

can't rename W32X86.PNG

HP Recommended

Can anyone help me with is?

I'm on Step 6 and cannot rename W32X86 to W32x86.old

HP Recommended

HI @Arg10

Do you have administrator rights?  Try to create another account (with administrator rights) and see if the issue can be resolved?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I changed administrator rights to active:yes, but still cannot add printer.  Keep getting error message that laptop can't find printer.  I give up!  Buying HP Envy printer this week and hopefully can connect to my HP laptop and Apple Macbook.

HP Recommended

Why, for the love of God, is setting up and troubleshooting this printer so difficult? I consider myself decent, when it comes to tech, but I cannot figure out how to get past this same issue. I'd think that such a prevalent issue would already have an easy solution. I'm seriously considering returning this product and moving to someone other than HP. This is the second HP product I have had that has done this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.