Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

the power button on my 4500 wireless hp printer is blinking and printer says shutting down, but it won't stop blinking nor will it shut down (off)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there,

Try a power reset - if that doesn't help, please click on the link below for more troubleshooting:

1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.

*** If my reply was helpful, please click on the "Kudos Thumbs-Up" on the right, as a way to say "Thanks!".

If this reply also fixed your issue - please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so that others can find the same answer. ***

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi there,

Try a power reset - if that doesn't help, please click on the link below for more troubleshooting:

1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.

*** If my reply was helpful, please click on the "Kudos Thumbs-Up" on the right, as a way to say "Thanks!".

If this reply also fixed your issue - please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so that others can find the same answer. ***
HP Recommended
printer is working again and power button can be turned off...but now there is a grinding noise as the printer sets up!!!!!YIKES
HP Recommended

Glad the power is okay, but it's noisy now?  Might be a piece of paper stuck somewhere inside the printer .. Try this set of steps now Smiley Happy 

A 'Carriage Jam-Open print carriage access door. Clear Jam, and then press OK' Message Displays for ...

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

suppose that this is akin to taking your car to a garage because of a "sound" it makes, but of course, it's difficult to tell someone what that sound sounds like!!!.........have had a jam (but tried your suggestion anyway and test came fine) and this is NOT that sound...it stops evenually and the printer works fine and shuts off fine.  Think the grinding noise will eventually blow this printer..........in the meantime thanks so much for your help...it nice to be "electronically gifted"!!!

HP Recommended

Given that the question here is the "Printer will not shut off" I am perpexed to read about how to turn it on.  My 7500A is behaving the same and even with all outlet plug pulled for 30 seconds, it returns to blinking and refusing to shut down once plugged back in at the power port and the wall.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.