Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP deskjet 3510

I have purchase a brand new HP ink cartridge and installed it into my HP printer and received the error that it was a protected cartridge.  I literally have the packaging  that it came in.  The lot number is  MYPB 2112002006021115 made in Malaysia.

Why would a brand new HP cartridge  be protected??

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JenniferWB

Welcome to the HP support community.

Update the printer firmware

Here are the steps:- Click here

Clean the electrical contacts

1. Turn the printer on.

2. Open the door to access the cartridges.

3. Wait until the carriage stops moving before you continue.

4. Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message from its slot, holding it by its side.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

5. Remove any protective tape that still might be on the contacts.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch or try to remove the copper electrical strip.

Remove the plastic tape and do not touch the contacts or ink nozzles

6. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then clean only the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge.

Cleaning the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge

7. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then clean the electrical contacts in the carriage, located inside the printer.

The carriage contacts

8. Wait 10 minutes for the contacts to dry.

9. Reinsert the cartridge.

• Insert the black cartridge into the right slot.

• Insert the tri-color cartridge into the left slot.

10. Repeat these steps for the other cartridge, if necessary.

11. Close the cartridge access door.

12. If the error persists, repeat the previous steps to clean the cartridge and carriage contacts a second time.

13. Check for the error message.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I purchased HP 803 combo pack. After installing the cartridges, printer sign blinks continuously and following error appears :

Quote:

HP Protected Cartridge Installed.........

Unquote

Printing stalled and work held up without fault of mine. 

What is the solution ?

HP Recommended

@vinayaksathe

Welcome to the HP support community.

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution:

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.