Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600+
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I dislike the name "HP Officejet Pro 8600 (Network)" which the hp driver "OJ8600_Basicx64_1316.exe" assigns to my printer upon installation, and also the fax name "Fax - HP Officejet Pro 8600 (Network)". They are too long. Every time I rename them to "HP OJ Pro 8600+ Plus" and  "HP OJ Pro 8600+ Plus Fax", the fax stops working and eventually the "HP OJ Pro 8600+ Plus" printer disappears. I've tried changing the network service name in Bonjour under Network in the embedded web server, but that doesn't seem to change the printer names. Any suggestions, other than live with the long names? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@russd, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You can change the name of the printer only on the PC after installing it.

The Printer is an encrypted name in the firmware of the printer and it cannot be changed either through EWS or on the printer.

To rename any currently installed printers on your Windows 10 system through Windows Settings:

1. Left-click on the Windows Start menu.
  2. From the menu, click on the Settings icon (the cog).
    • You can also right-click the Windows Start icon and select Settings from the menu to achieve the same result.
    • Win+I is also a viable option as a shortcut key to open Settings directly.
  3. In the “Settings” window choose Devices.
  4. From the “Devices” window, head to Printers & Scanners.
    • On the right side, you should see a list of already installed printers and scanners.
  5. Scroll through the list of printers and click on the one of which you want to perform a name change.
  6. Click the Manage button.
    • This window will display all of the options you have for that particular printer.
  7. From the left side menu, select Printer properties.
    • A new window will pop-up for the chosen printer.
  8. Stay on (or move to) the “General” tab.
  9. There will be a textbox that displays the current name of the printer. Click inside of this box, delete the current name, and type in your preferred name for the printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar: that is exactly what I’ve been doing to rename the printer (connected to my LAN via WiFi). I have three PCs on which the printer is installed. If I change the name on any one of them, the printer disappears within two to three days. It seems I should just live with the verbose long name?

HP Recommended

@russd

The printer's name change should not make the printer disappear from the computer. If you have tried the steps and the issue persists, I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.