Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Trivia on the HP printer that might help others ... a temporary workaround:
  • I still cannot print to the printer from my computer- get "Waiting for printer to become available"
  • Able to save a jpg file from Preview to the memory card I have in the printer (slot at the front)
  • Then I can print that image as a photo from the printer's screen controls!
  • Note: must do one page at a time - each a separate jpg file - tedious.
So very strange ...
HP Recommended

I too have tried all the options mentions. As directed I uninstalled the Printer with the HP website uninstall download. Then I installed the new software which was the latest and dated Nov. 2, 2020. I too have a Mac and the problems surfaced after Catalina. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the printer as per the instructions. Nothing is working so far and I have tries restarting it and every other suggestion I have seen. Seems to me there must be a missing link in the coding! I would welcome any suggestions as it's very annoying. I just purchased new printer ink and haven't been able to print and weirdly it keeps saying my ink levels are low!!

HP Recommended

I had the "will damage your computer" message. I couldn't print or scan. I deleted the old drivers and installed new ones using HP Easy Start. Now I can scan, but I can't print. I get the "Printing - Waiting for printer to become available." message. I connect through the USB port. I know the connection is good because I can scan. And I know it will print, because it printed a test page successfully during the install. But when I open the print queue and try to print a document, it says "Printing page 1, 21% complete." Then it goes to 100% complete. Then it shows "Printing - Waiting for printer to become available." again! I tried restarting my Mac, but that doesn't help. The HP folder has only one file, (HP Utility) which is dated today, so I don't need to delete it. I'm using Catalina 10.15.7. I tried resetting the printing system. I even updated the firmware on the printer. Nothing has worked. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

HP Recommended

worked out just now!

Go to your finder and search the name "hp"(like the one below) Delete the folder and start your printer

it will warn you that something is missing, and there is a button to download.

Press it and wait for several minutes, print again, there you are!

截屏2020-11-22 下午9.33.29.png

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't work unfortunately. There is no button to push after deleting the folder that came up and it still does not print and it still says waiting for printer to become available. I have checked and my Mac has all up to date downloads. I have gone on the HP site and uninstalled everything and installed the new software they posted to correct this problem.  It's the latest dated Nov. 12. I have done everything again and again.  They must not have corrected the problem and it's really getting frustrating. Hours have been wasted. To top it all off I had just bought new printer ink cartridges and installed them and have not been able to print anything since they were installed. The really annoying thing is that although the cartridges are new and I haven't even been able to print it still tells me my printer ink needs replacing! I hope someone at HP reads this page. I am now of the mind that I will never buy another HP Printer or product again. I think I will have to just get rid of this printer - which worked fine before the software problem. I will likely have to buy another printer and it will be another brand.!

HP Recommended

Having the exact same problem and tried all of the suggested fixes.  No help.  Still doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Fixed it...I think.  I turned off the printer and unplugged it for ~5 minutes.  I Uninstalled the Printer using the HP Uninstall, I went into Finder and searched for anything/everything HP and deleted those files - everything HP related.  I emptied the Trash.  I restarted the computer.  I again went into Finder and searched for anything/everything HP and deleted those files - everything HP related.  I emptied the Trash.  Again restarted the computer.  I plugged the printer back in and started it up.  I opened  System Preferences, Printers & Scanners, added a printer using the Generic PCL Laser Printer and it worked for my OfficeJet 8600 Pro.

HP Recommended

I tried everything you suggested. I am still not able to print and it still says waiting for printer to become available. Another tw hours wasted. I really held out hope after your success. But nothing has worked at all. I have deleted everything with HP and turned the computer off and on and blah blah blah. This is total madness.

HP Recommended

Sorry last part to the fix is to then go to HP.com to get the latest drivers. Make sure you select the proper iOS - the site defaults to OS 10.15. Download and install the new drivers and follow the prompts. When asked if you want to use the Generic or HP drivers select HP. To scan now I use the Image Capture application.

HP Recommended

Many thanks I did actually add that step. I have been using this link which shows the step by step process including the uninstall and the adding of the latest drivers etc to download. Here is the link in case it might help some others. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06960563

I have also added the step of removing and adding back the printer and turning the computer off and on after each new attempt. But alas, none of it work. I appreciate your responses and am glad you have had success. It seems to me HP are hoping alchemy helps us. So far I have not had any luck with alchemy. I have searched on the Black Friday sales and might just buy that Cannon all in one printer that's on sale!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and Happy Black sale hunting for a new non HP printer!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.