Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6700 Premium e-All-in-One Printer series - H711
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get the "Missing or Failed Printhead" error.  Turned the printer off, unplugged it and resterted.  Same error reappears.  Any solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Try all these Google threads.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Missing+or+Failed+Printhead&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Search for more if needed.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

One of my print catrdidges (yellow) had to be changed.  It was new, original HP, but when I replaced it, the "Printhead Error" message disappeared.  Go figure. 

HP Recommended

The solution to the Missing or Failed Printhead error shown in the YouTube video may work, but it's an insane amount of detailed manipulation for an end user to remove and clean all the printhead board connections.   I've done a fair amount of computer repairs and it looks complicated as hell to me (and probably a high possibility of getting inked).

I had already powered the printer off and on, and replaced all of the print cartridges - no luck, same error.

HP Recommended

Any other solutions out there??? I have tried everything HP suggests online. I Hate to purchase another printer, this one has had very little use, just a home machine for printing and scanning a few pages each month. This is an Officejet 6700 premium all in one.

HP Recommended

WYGirl,  Try the Repair Kit for the HP OfficeJet Pro 6700 shown at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132919941018

Be careful about ordering the correct kit for your printer.   However, the kit will only work if the problem is an ink blockage.

If you have a "missing or failed printhead", the problem could be residue on the contacts to the circuit board on the back of the printhead.   It's a more complicated process to disassemble the printhead and either clean the circuit board or replace part of the printhead.  There are videos on YouTube which show how to clean OfficeJet printers using a kit.

HP Recommended

The solution is to replace the printer with a new HP printer, and take advantage of Best Buy's HP printer trade-in program, where they give you a 15% off coupon towards a new HP printer when you bring in your dead one (offer ends 6/30/2019). Don't waste your time, money, and effort on "solutions" that don't work or on attempting to repair it yourself or pay to have it done. 

HP printheads fail often due to flaws, use of non-HP ink, or simply wear. Genuine HP replacement printheads cost around $50, and the repair process is complex enough to be beyond the skills of most consumers. Worse yet, many times the repair doesn't work or there are other problems. Paying for the repair is far more expenisve, usually in excess of $100. HP could have designed these printers to have made printhead replacement easier, but chose not to. Their business model is to sell the printers at a very low price point and make money from the ink replacement.  It is more economical to buy a new HP printer than to repair a broken one. 

I speak from experience, I am an electrical engineer with 30 years of experience, and have purchased many HP analyzers, computers, and printers in my career. I have also repaired any number of HP printers in the past, among other electronic products. 

Despite these issues, I still recommend HP printers. I've used most of the other consumer inkjet printers on the market, and none have the complete set of features and integrated design that the HP's do. Their big drawback is ink cost, which I manage by buying high capacity cartridges from Costco at a somewhat tolerable price. 

HP Recommended

WY Girl, see my other reply, buy a new printer, it'll be cheaper than doing a repair or "solution" that either won't work or will soon fail. FWIW, my 6700 failed in exactly the same way, but at least I got a few years of use out of it. A new 6978 printer, which is very much like a 6700, is on sale right now for only about $100. Oh, and don't waste your time trying to find a current HP printer that uses the cartdridges from your 6700, there aren't any, unfortunately. Good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.