Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Printer 310A
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I didn't find my printer come with the set-up cartridge, and it is too late to return to the retailer. I installed new cartridges in the printer to setup, but the message showed Check Ink Cartridges: Cartridges appear to be missing. Snap Ink Cartridges into slots.

Could you please help me bypass the set-up cartridge step?

Thanks so much!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@rinron, Welcome to HP Support Community!

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much. The product NO. is CN503A and the Model No. is C310a. HP Ink Cartridge 564. Thank you!

HP Recommended

Anyone could help please? Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

@Anna333

This does not seem like a setup ink cartridges issue. 

Follow the steps from the document HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge to isolate and resolve the issue.

If the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Do we need to use the setup cartridge to set up this printer? We didn't use the setup cartridge, but put the regular cartridges into the printer for the set-up. Will those regular cartridges work? Currently there is still one more cartridge missing, which we didn't put in because we don't have that on hand and need to purchase it in store, but if a setup cartridge is needed to setup the printer, please let us know before we purchase another cartridge and end up wasting $ on another cartridge.

Thanks so much,

HP Recommended

@Anna333

Is there any setup ink cartridges related error on the printer?

Is it the first time you're trying to set up the printer?

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes.  The message on the printer states "insert new setup cartridges" and since we don't have any setup cartridges we are not able to proceed further, as the HP retail cartridges that we purchased do not work.  And yes this is our first time setting up the printer.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Anna333

Thanks for the confirmation.

We cannot bypass the error on the printer. Refer to the document https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03107170 for help.

If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Our whole problem is that the printer that we purchased did NOT come with the SETUP ink cartridges and thus we are not able follow the instructions in the link that you cited, as quoted below, and proceed any further.  And we are not able to return the printer to the retailer since it's well past the return period.  Could you please let us know how to resolve this?  Would HP be able to provide replacement for the SETUP cartridges needed?  Thanks.

When you set up your printer for the first time, you must install the SETUP ink cartridges that came with the printer. Open the door to access the ink cartridges, and then make sure the ink cartridges are labeled SETUP. If your new printer did not come with SETUP ink cartridges, do not continue with the steps in this document. Return the printer to the retailer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.