Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
elitebook
Microsoft Windows XP

i have a problem with my two-year old lazer jet.  It went through an update and now it wont accept my aftermarket toner cartridges

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

Memory chips used by your 3rd party vendor do not meet legal requirements. Vendors use cheap chips so that they can sell toner at very low prices. You might be able to downgrade your firmware but does not always work depending on what sub-systems in the printer were updated with the last firmware. Some components like the DC controller usually cannot be turned back and may not function reliably with older firmware installed.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

So - let me see if I have this right.  My refub Laser Jet Pro MFP M281cdw, which has been running fine with non-HP cartridges, is now showing a "Supply problem" message (apparently related to communications with all cartridges) because HP upgraded their software?   I did try replacing on cartridge (non-HP) and it did not change status, not even for that one cartridge.

Am I suppose to now go out and buy new HP cartridges just to see if this is the problem?

HP Recommended

update -

after trying several HP support pathways (this being one) I did upload new firm ware and then went in through my desktop "HP Support Assistant".  The HP Support system has my PC and this networked printer registered.  I went to the update tab on the printer and it ran through a driver update.

I can now print - no real clear reason why.   Obviously the non-HP cartridges were not a problem.  Was it the firmware update - the PC's driver update - the Gods of IT smiling upon me - I do not know.

HP Recommended

I hope I can fix this on my m254dw too. What did you do exactly, it's not 100% clear.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

My 254dw just stopped working as well with a 'supply problem' error.  I also utilize third party cartridges and have for quite some time.  I also had a new firmware update.

HP Recommended

Solved! This just happened to my M254DW too. The firmware has updated itself to datecode 20201021 and all 4 compatible cartridges simultaneously reported "Supply Error". I fixed it with the following steps:

HP Recommended

Thanks Andy, did you use a wifi connection or a USB cable for this? I followed those exacts steps, still doesn't work. I see a 32MB " Firmware Update" print job going into the printer queue, but it stays there and nothing happens on the printer 😞

HP Recommended

Bingo! Downgrade didn't work through Wi-Fi, but it worked fine through USB, printing fine again! Thanks Andy, I also switched the printer menus to English because the french translation of the downgrade option was totally bad and misleading.

HP Recommended

The link does not work for me, but I already solved the problem another way. My solution was to swap the chip from a HP cartridge into my non-HP cartridge. How to swap is not obvious, but I found instructions via searching  the web (found as part of a cartridge for sale listing on Amazon).  HP is not upfront about trying to block non-HP cartridges and help you figure out what is going on. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.