Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have the same issue as many have stated.  I have a M254dw that was working fine until it updated itself to the recent 10/21/2020 firmware. Now it will no longer work with any aftermarket toners. Tried all the options to turn off the cartridge protection, no luck.  I have ordered several new ones from Amazon, but no luck.  I would like to down grade my firmware, but am not able to find it online.  If anyone has a copy please let me know, the link to the UK site no longer works.

[content removed.]

HP Recommended

I used the wifi. It didn't work first time, but second time I tried it the printer took the download.

Apparently there is also a way to upgrade the firmware from a thumb drive in the usb port, but those instructions are only in the full (paid-for) service manual.

HP Recommended

Hi there.  I am having the same problem with my M254dw.  Just installed four aftermarket cartridges and am getting a Supply Problem error message.  I have been unable to find the older driver available to install on my MacBook Air.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

See message #7 in this thread.  It has an active FTP link to the most recent firmware that works.  The instructions in that post are good, but you need to use a USB cable.  It didn't work for me over WIFI.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

The link stated in message #7 doesn't work. I 'm afraid that HP deleted the file and it isn't available any more.

HP Recommended

I called HP because I could not find that June update to go back to it. It is no longer on the website and the rep said there is no way I can get it to go back now to the June firmware. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I’ve contacted the AG’s office. This was deliberately done to prevent using 3rd part toner.

HP Recommended

I found another place to download the firmware, if anyone needs it.

HP Recommended

Please tell me where!

HP Recommended

Thank you Andy_P2 for helping out!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.