Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer
Product: HP Office Jet Pro 6978 All-In-One Printer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

I've just bought the original cartridges from Challenger store and replaced with the empty ones and then suddenly it displays the problem that these cartridges are not intended to be used in this printer, the device software is up to date. 

I just follow the instructions to getting replacement from HP also no use.
HP customer support is also not available online.
HP Smart App is also of no use as it says "Printer Status Unknown"
HP used to be a reliable company but lately I've been disappointed with their product.

Is this because of printer too old?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Nick371,

Welcome to HP Support Community. 

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I see that you are facing cartridge issues with your HP Office Jet Pro 6978 All-In-One Printer.

I suggest that you follow the steps listed below to update the firmware from HP Smart App.

1. Go to 123.hp.com (Android, Apple iOS, iPad OS), or HP Smart - Microsoft Store (Windows), or HP Smart - Mac App Store (Mac) (if not installed).

2. After completing the printer setup, click or tap on the printer’s name.

NOTE: Menu names, locations, and available settings vary by printer model.

3. Under Advanced, select Printer Home Page (EWS) or Advanced Settings.

4. Click or tap Tools or Web Services.

5. Click or tap Printer Updates or Product Update, and then click or tap Check Now.

You may also refer to this weblink: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1776648-1643972-16 

I hope this helps.
Take care and have a good day ahead.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.