Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two PDF files that will not print in color. I tried all possible permutations, including printing as image. Nothing worked. Printout comes B&W only. I was told that some HP printers have problems with some PDF files. Hmm.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@pasko

Welcome to HP forums, I see that your printer is not printing in color.

• Did you try to print from a different application and check if that prints fine?
  • Did you make a copy and check if that prints fine?

Meanwhile:

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report.

1. Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools.

4. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic report prints.

Image: Example of the Print Quality Diagnostic Page

5. Keep the Print Quality Diagnostic report for easy reference later in this document.

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did not say that my 4650 print won't print in color. Please, read what I wrote: I said that some PDF files will not print in color. The printer prints fine other files including other PDf files. But not all PDf files.  I tried everyrthing possible, print image, you name it, I tried, wasting lots of paper in the process. I found that there is a bug in some HP printer drivers regarding printing PDF files in color. The offending PDF files were printed just fine in color on another manufacturer printer, non HP printer.

If you are interested in fixing the bug I can send you the one page long PDF.

Let me know

Pasko Varnica

HP Recommended

@Asko

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Update the printer firmware

Refer this HP document for the steps to update the printer firmware:- Click here

Perform root level uninstalltion to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install full feature driver.

Click here to download the driver.

Let me know if that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

could not update firmware from the printer 'cause it tells me that the printer is up to date. Removed, reinstalled everything on my laptop, same result. I am giving up

But thanks for your time

Pasko Varnica

HP Recommended

@pasko

Thanks for the response.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.