cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
kittencatlover
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

what does a genuine 564xl cartridge look like

HP Recommended
Officejet 4622
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I bought a 564xl black cartridge at WalMart and my printer recognizes that the ink cartridge is full but it won't work/print black no matter what I try.  How do I know if it's a genuine cartridge and what do I do to make it work?  What's a printhead?  Should I replace it or is it worth it since the warranty expired in 2013?  thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @kittencatlover, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues printing in black color from your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Does the issue persist when you make a copy from your printer?

Have you installed full feature printer software?

Have you tried printing from a different application?

Have you tried printing using a different ink cartridge?

Are you using HP genuine ink cartridge or refilled ink cartridge?

Check the ink level on your printer and replace the low ink cartridge.

Change the print settings to print with black ink only.

You might need to change your print settings every time you print.
   NOTE:
These steps vary by software, program, and operating system.
In your software application, click Print.
Select your printer from the list of available printers.
Click the option that opens the Printer Properties dialog box. Depending on your software application, this option might be called Printer Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.
Click the Features tab, click the Grayscale drop-down menu, and then click Black Ink Only.
   NOTE:
To use even less black ink, select the Draft setting.
Click OK, and then click Print to start the print job.

Uninstall the printer software from root level and install the latest full feature software for your printer.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Update the full feature printer software using this link.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot color or black ink not printing.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
kittencatlover
Author
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried make a copy, uninstalling and reinstalling the printer and nothing is making the black ink work.  I have tried actual HP ink and an over the counter black ink, both full.  I have tried cleaning the printhead and doing the alignment (which doesn't work since I can't print black).  The colors do work.  Is there something I replace in the printer or would it just be cheaper to buy a new printer?

0 Kudos
Raj1788
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 582 663
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kittencatlover

It looks like you were interacting with MrRobot, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 
I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service.

Is the printer able to make a photocopy correctly? If yes then it indicates that the printer and ink cartridges are fine. 

Use an automated tool to clean the printhead

1. Load plain, white U.S. letter or A4 size paper in the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, press the Setup icon .

3. Press the button  next to the arrow  until Tools displays next to OK.

4. Press the button next to OK to select Tools, and then press the button next to the arrow  until Clean Printhead displays next to OK.

5. Press the button next to OK to clean the printheads.

The printer cleans the printheads and then prints a test page.

6. Evaluate the test page for print quality.

Print the report

1. Load plain white U.S. letter or A4 size paper in the tray.

2. On the control panel home screen, press the Setup icon .

3. Press the button  next to the Down Arrow  until Reports displays next to OK.

4. Press the button next to OK to select Reports.

5. Press the button next to the Down Arrow  until Print Quality Report displays next to OK, and then press the button next to OK. The report prints.

If the issue persists, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 
If your product is out of warranty, then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.
Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp
Step 2. Enter the product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted on any other assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Cheers;)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
kittencatlover
Author
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried making a photocopy with my printer and I have tried to align it, clean printhead, everything.  My printer is definetly out of warranty.  How much does it cost for support?  I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting the support as a new printer is only $59.99.  Please advise.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Raj1788
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 582 663
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kittencatlover

Thanks for the reply,

I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 
If your product is out of warranty, then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.
Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp
Step 2. Enter the product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted on any other assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Good luck!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
kittencatlover
Author
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks but that doesn't answer my question as to how much it costs.  I don't want to call support if it's going to cost me more than what it's worth.

0 Kudos
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,732 829 1,530
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kittencatlover

Thanks for replying.

As @Raj1788 and @A4Apollo are out of the office today, I'm replying to you.

Please do not buy a support option for troubleshooting the issue. The troubleshooting has already been performed by you. You can look out for a printer upgrade options by calling the phone support team. In case the upgrade options is expensive then you might as well buy a new printer. 

Hope this helps. Feel free to keep me posted for any further questions.

Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
kittencatlover
Author
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please explain what you mean by printer upgrade option.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,732 829 1,530
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kittencatlover

You're welcome.

The old defective printer can be exchanged for another HP printer for a nominal cost. Also, the cost depends on the available models available for upgrade.

Also, would like to mention that the upgrade printers are reconditioned HP printers. 

Cheers! 🙂

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation