Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung Xpress SL-C1810W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm super frustrated over the lack of easy support for Samsung printers (which has been taken over by HP, apparently). It's impossible to find someone to talk to. So sad and immensly frustrating.

Anyway. I have a Samsung Xpress SL-C1810E colour printer. 

The issue is that it doesn't connect to the laptop I'm using. Or, I've managed to connect it once or twice över the last months (it's used that seldom) and then it's working, but after that - it's like it forgets the drivers and settings and it's shown as "inactive" under printer settings in Windows 10.

When the printer has been connected, everything has worked flawlessly. Over WiFi. The problem start every time I turn off and on the computer and printer, because then it's like it doesn't exist anymore.

IF I connect the printer via cable, though not really an option because the printer is placed in the same room, but too far away from the computer, everything also works flawlessly. But, I'd like to just print stuff from my mobile phone etc.

Is there a CLEAR instruction of how to install the printer properly in Windows 10?

Or, is there a Swedish telephone number I could call for support just to hook this beast up correctly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So, I got help via telephone just minutes after my post and now everything is solved.

For reference - I have been trying to connect the printer via "WiFi Direct", by entering PIN codes and stuff. What that feature basically does, is setting up its own wifi net in the appartment.

Dont, use, that, feature. Stay away.

The simples solution was to use the WPS feature - which really grinds my gear, because I know that I tried that in the beginning but still never got it to work.

Do like this:

1. Press the WPS button on the printer.

2. Press the WPS/AP button on your WiFi router that controls your WiFi network at home.

3. When the printer is connected to the wifi, print the "Network configuration" by accessing the menu in the printer. The printer should now be accessible on an IP address, for example 192.168.1.xxx. You find the IP address under the IPv4 row on the Network configuration sheet that you printed.

4. Go to printer settings in your computer.

5. Add printer but click on "The printer I want to use is not in this list" (or something similar).

6. Click the "Add printer by TCP/IP..." option.

7. Click "Automatic detection", add the IP number as found on the Network configuration sheet and tick the last option "Control the printer and choose a driver automatically" (or something similar).

8. Click not share your printer.

9. Done!

Case closed. Have a nice week!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

So, I got help via telephone just minutes after my post and now everything is solved.

For reference - I have been trying to connect the printer via "WiFi Direct", by entering PIN codes and stuff. What that feature basically does, is setting up its own wifi net in the appartment.

Dont, use, that, feature. Stay away.

The simples solution was to use the WPS feature - which really grinds my gear, because I know that I tried that in the beginning but still never got it to work.

Do like this:

1. Press the WPS button on the printer.

2. Press the WPS/AP button on your WiFi router that controls your WiFi network at home.

3. When the printer is connected to the wifi, print the "Network configuration" by accessing the menu in the printer. The printer should now be accessible on an IP address, for example 192.168.1.xxx. You find the IP address under the IPv4 row on the Network configuration sheet that you printed.

4. Go to printer settings in your computer.

5. Add printer but click on "The printer I want to use is not in this list" (or something similar).

6. Click the "Add printer by TCP/IP..." option.

7. Click "Automatic detection", add the IP number as found on the Network configuration sheet and tick the last option "Control the printer and choose a driver automatically" (or something similar).

8. Click not share your printer.

9. Done!

Case closed. Have a nice week!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.