purplegrouch
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Hacker or real phone number caution

HP Recommended
Samsung clx-3160fn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day. I posted a help request yesterday for a Samsung clx3160 printer. I still need help as I was told because it is not in warranty Samsung/HP will not help.

A bigger concern - I received a message, in response to my yesterday post, from someone who identified as being from the HP help desk. A phone number was provided: 818-660-0765. I called and the conversation was a bit strange.  I'm trying to find out if anyone knows if this is a legitimate phone number to an HP tech peripherals support person. If not, I want to caution others of this issue. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
REO51ST
Level 16
25,082 24,178 3,568 8,040
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@purplegrouch

Do you still have the Username of the person that sent you the email???

REO

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
purplegrouch
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I don't know the dynamics of the forum so please tell me who you are? What is provost or REO?

The email had a "Tech 7" indicated in the From section.  The message was signed HP Help desk. Do you know if this is a legitimate HP representative or a scam message exchange? I would like to help protect others also. I was about to give information to this "jerry" person at the end of the phone number I was given when the "smell test" finally kicked in.

Thanks

eric3
5 3 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got a similar weird experience today. I called the number and like an idiot let them connect to my computer.

Dear Customer,

We really appreciate for your concern regarding your HP Product. But its hard to provide you the appropriate solution for this issue in community. In order to get easy and hassle free HP Technical support for you peripherals. Kindly call +1-818 660 0765 (US/Canada) & +44-020 3289 7008 (UK) for assistance.

Thanks & Regards
HP Helpdesk.

EOJTech
Level 4
68 65 9 19
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
A Google search would suggest the number is not legit. Lots of hits out there, though nothing very recent, mostly credit and loans as a vehicle to identity theft. In my experience, HP does not explicitly solicit direct contact by email as shown above.

When HP does get involved on the forum, it's usually their "form letter" (bot?) reply within the post, with follow on instructions.
DivaDi79
2 1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Eric3, I just got the same message, word for word, from Tech_gavin with the same phone #. I googled the phone # and I didn't find it being officially linked to HP at all. 

eric3
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Report to HP. They blocked the user immediately

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation