Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung Xpress SL-M2070W Laser Multifunction Printer

Headline. 

Latest FW, connects to 2.4Ghz AP, and uses 802.11g. How to force this thing use 802.11n? 5GHz only?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Are you connecting to a an actual 802.11N or newer 5G? If newer 5G, forget about it, the chipsets used are just not reliably compatible. My recommendation to clients is to settle on 2.4 if you want reliable wireless.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I'm connecting to an actual 802.11ax AP, but for IoT purposes I have dedicated 2.4GHz only SSID, a/n compatible (my AP uses mediatek chipset without 2.4GHz ax capabilities).

As for printer itself - Ive made it to use this IoT SSID - but it refuses to set 802.11n standart, keeps 802.11g standart and rates. 

If you try turning off legacy rates and 802.11b/g - it simply won't connect to WiFi. In case you wanna connect to combo 2.4+5 SSID - printer stays on 2.4GHz with g rates, ignoring band steering and etc.

IIRC, previously M2070W was able connect to 5GHz and use 802.11n, maybe using earlier firmwares, so I guess it's wireless chip isn't complete flop?

In any case, my goal is to make it run 802.11n while staying in 2.4GHz range.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.