JoopN
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Paper not picked up

HP Recommended
C410W
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Slowly the printer started to fail picking up the paper from the tray and now it stopped completely.

A number of attempts are made and then the orange light goes on to indicate paper transport problem. Checking the tray there is no sheet sticking out.

I have removed all toner cartridges, the waste toner cartridge, the drum and paper cassette  and inspected the interior of the printer from all sides, front, back and bottom. There was hardly any dust or indication of wear, no loose paper particles. Nonetheless I vacumed the interior thoroughly. I could not spot anything broken off. The rubber 'pad' which should pick up the paper from the tray was still 'rough' enough, but I cleaned it anyways. The gears look all like new to me, printer has not been used much.

Somehow I get the impression that the shaft with the pickup 'tab' is not rotating when it should to start the paperfeed, I am missing the sound of pickup, but I can't see this when the printer is assembled and the tray is in place.

Any clues? Trashing this printer seems a real waste to me. If a part needs to be replaced I would prefer to do this, I am fairly handy.

Thanks,

Joop

4 REPLIES 4
Copier-Pro
Level 9
2,456 2,416 160 348
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.Just for information some technical information is protected by HP and is not allowed to be answered.This is unfortunate and you will have to contact a HP repair shop for the help in this case.Remove the paper tray and use your hand to activate the senor as if there would be a tray with paper installed.Once the machine is ready make a print and feel if the paper pick up wheel is rotating.Should this not turn at all then you most probably have a problem with the feeding clutch.But lets just first get into the right direction looking for the problem.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
JoopN
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your help with this issue!!

I have placed a piece of tape over the actuator for the papertray and then gave a print command. With my hand on the paper pickup wheel I felt that it did NOT rotate. Pushing the rubber wheel a bit I heard a rattling noise and then the wheel did rotate. Giving multiple print commands it proved that now it works most of the time. It therefore looks as if it has to do with the gears which drive the paper pickup wheel. Perhaps something got stuck between gears??

It is not 100% yet, it still fails some of the time.

Any further idea's? Should I just see how this works out over time?

JoopN
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I first thought that the issue was fixed, however problem has returned. Paper pickup fails most of the time.Perhaps printer has to be taken apart to check the gears driving the paper pickup, but I am not really keen to do this

Copier-Pro
Level 9
2,456 2,416 160 348
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.Just for information some technical information is protected by HP and is not allowed to be answered.This is unfortunate and you will have to contact a HP repair shop for the help in this case.I think that one of the clutches is sticky not working properly.The best will be to have it serviced and repaired by a agent.To repair this will need a bit of patience and also you need to remove some covers.Hope this will help.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation