Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

With the fix now it's working fine. Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

I have been scunting aroud for months, fruitlessly searching for a fix for a sSamsung scanner that worked perfectly on my previous OS X. As soon as I upgrade to Big Sur everything falls apart. Apple dont care and HP have every intention of making us BUY brand new scanners. If they didnt have that intention, updated drivers scripts would have been available from the get-go when they aquired the Samsung printer/scanner brand name. Coz its not like they didnt know IN ADVANCE how many 'three years and older' Samsung scanners were in use. Pure economics Consume , consume, consume.

HP Recommended

I know exactly what you are saying. Big Sur and previous Catalina stop you from connecting to print from C480 series.

What I did was completely delete HP and everything to do with them, they are no good and just take up disk space.

Go into Menu on your printer and copy the network key under networks and the SSID. On your Mac go into Wifi and select the SSID of the printer and enter the Network key.  (Preferences, printer and scanner, + Samsung C48x Series).

When ready to print, go to wifi, select Samsung C48... wait for it to be active, it will come up as no internet connection.. In preview or document programs select print or scan and this will connect you up to either in the samsung printer.

HP Recommended

Buying  VuScan is not a 'fix', it's a workaround.  My workaround, adequate for my limited purposes, is to use the free Mobile Print app on my iPhone to control scanner functions, then  AirDrop the files to my MacBook Pro running Big Sur (11.0.3).  My device is an SCX-3405FW.  Samsung Easy Printer Manager sill runs, and all functions besides scanning seem unaffected.  The scan function relies on a separate 'Scan Assistant' App, which has not been upgraded to run on the 64 bit OS.

My guess is that for someone with access to the source code and build environment for the app (i.e. HP in theory), converting it to a 64 bit compatible app is probably a very minor tweak, one which in fact may only require rebuilding/repackaging the executable file so that it ticks off the 64 bit box, and may not even require source code changes.  So, agreed with all, very lame of HP to have orphaned that little app for so long...

HP Recommended

Note that the latest driver (dated February 11, 2021) DOES fix the problem for the C480 printer.  Just make sure you download the V3.93.01 version of the driver and you will have to play around with uninstalling and installing a couple of times for it to magically fix the problem.  And by fixing the problem, I mean to get both printing and scanning working as they should.

FYI, I have the Samsung XPress C483W printer and the latest Big Sur version (11.2.3) on two different laptops (one Pro and the other Air), and I can confirm that the latest printer driver works perfectly fine on both, but it did take a bit of time for it to work.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

All great advice, thank you. This has finally allowed me to upgrade to Big Sur.  If I may add,  in my testing this, I have found choosing  the Samsung Printer drivers over the AirPrint ones gives a much better print quality.

Screenshot 2021-04-11 at 11.54.42.png

HP Recommended

Pretty much agree with everything you say here, other than I think you are a tad harsh on Apple - they would have given HP plenty of opportunity to have access to Beta Big Sur for dev / testing. I truly believe this is down to HP.  My 11 year old Epson Stylus Photo RX620 handled the upgrade to Big Sur with not a glitch!

HP Recommended

fix the problem of my scx 4500 in this way: I install my printer in another system before 11 big sur (10.15, - 10.14, -10,13) without problems. Then in the hard disk I look at the path Library / the folder called Printers and I copy or save it.
Again on my Macos with BigSur in the same previous path Library, I replaced the Printers folder and when you turn on the printer it will tell you to reinstall your printer driver and that's it.

Captura de pantalla 2021-05-22 a las 16.02.49.png

Captura de pantalla 2021-05-22 a las 16.25.15.png

HP Recommended

fix the problem of my scx 4500 in this way: I install my printer in another system before 11 big sur (10.15, - 10.14, -10,13) without problems. Then in the hard disk I look at the path Library / the folder called Printers and I copy or save it.
Again on my Macos with BigSur in the same previous path Library, I replaced the Printers folder and when you turn on the printer it will tell you to reinstall your printer driver and that's it.

HP Recommended

The Samsung C480 has built in WiFi. It emits its own SSID address. In the menu under Network and in the settings it will give you a 'key'. Take note of the displayed wifi key and exit back to the main screen.

On your laptop, look in the networks and the printer will display a network (C480......). click on it and enter the key number. The WiFi symbol at the top will show as grey but with an exclamation mark through the middle (no internet access) . 

Fine, you are now linked to the printer. To scan, go into preferences, select printer and scanners, at the top, Print, Scan. select scan and you are off to scan. the rest is self explanatory. To print in preview I just select file/print, (printer is listed (Samsung C48x Series)) the rest is self explanatory. DONT RUSH the printing, it takes a few seconds to register and the information to pass across otherwise you get pages of machine code on several pages. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.