Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung ML 1670
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi guys,

This one has been driving me crazy, but I've finally found a really, really simple solution to getting the Samsung  ML-1670 running on a Mac running Catalina. This solution may also work for other unsupported Samsung printers, but I've not tested it.

This is in response to the below question:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Samsung/Samsung-ML-1670-driver-MAC-OS-10-15-Catalina/td-p/7288371

As you're probably aware, HP doesn't provide any compatible drivers to get this running on Catalina.

So....

At one point, many, many years ago Apple released their own Samsung printer drivers. And to my surprise, those drivers install without issue on Catalina. 

You can download them here: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl905?locale=en_US

Once installed, you'll see a long(er) list of Samsung printers to choose from when you setup your printer via Printers & Scanners. The ML-1670 won't be in that list but that's ok. Just choose ML-1860 instead

I've no idea why the ML-1860 works but it definitely does; I've actually used this driver for powering our ML-1670 for many years before encountering these latest issues with Catalina. I'm not very familiar with Samsung laser printers but I guess they were very similar.

I hope this helps!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot! Really simple and work for me very fine.

HP Recommended

hey,

do you also have a solution for Big Sur? The apple support couln't help me and the Hp support is not very helpful either. Would really really appreciate your answer!

Best wishes

HP Recommended

No problem, glad it helped!

HP Recommended

I'm not running Big Sur so no I don't.  Have you tried downloading the print drivers in my original post?  I was really surprised they installed on Catalina,  but they did. So it wouldn't surprise me if the same is true for Big Sur.

I'm planning on switching to Big Sur next year so please do let me know how you get on.

(Don't quote me on this but I believe Catalina was the first native 64 bit operating system from Apple. It was a big change and loads of non 64 bit apps stopped working when it was released. The fact that these 7 year old print drivers still work on Catalina seems like a bit of a miracle to me. Big Sur is just the next development of Catalina rather than a ground up rebuild. I'm no expert but my thinking is, if the drivers are working on Catalina then there's a good chance they'll continue to work on Big Sur).

HP Recommended

Thank you for your super fast reply! I can download the "programm", but when I try to install it, I  get the notivication that the volume doesnt fullfill the requirements. I'm by far no expert and this whole problem is driving me insane... the apple support told me to contact samsung, but i guess that hp does the support now and to me the site not really userfriendly.

HP Recommended

You're my hero!!! It works also with Big Sur (11.1 version)!!! 

HP Recommended

After upgrade on macOS 11.1 from Catalina system deleted installed printer. Bud print driver is still in Mac. So i just add printer and choose ML-1860. And still working.

But i have installed driver from Catalina. I think is same procedure like original post still work in Big Sur.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.