Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung SCX 3205w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Samsung SCX 3205w printer.  The printer works fine when I print over the USB cable.  However, it's very finicky when I try to print over wifi.  Once the printer goes to sleep, I can't get it to print.  The computer seems to lose connectivity with it.  When I run the Samsung Printer Diagnostics program, the Samsung printer connected via wifi is shown as "not connected" and no printer status information is available.  If I press the on/off button to wake up the printer, the printer still shows as "not connected" even though the blue wireless LED light is on.  The only way I can get the printer to show up again is to turn it off and then turn it back on again.  

A few more background bits of information. 

-The printer has a static IP address. 

-I recently purchased a new wifi router and have connected it to the printer via WPS. 

- I've tried to use the sync thru web tool to reset the printer to factory defaults to see if that works, but it's rare that I can actually access the printer through that browser tool and when I can, it only seems to be available for a short time before it's no longer connected.  I've not been able to reset to factory defaults.  

- I've tried to use the Samsung Easy Wireless Setup program but I'm unable to connect to the printer either via direct wifi or through the USB cable. Even when I use the USB cable I get a device data error and it is unable to import data from the printer. Though I'm still able to print directly over that same USB cable.  

Any ideas on how to fix this?  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Update - I figured out the problem.  It turns out that the new wifi router was assigning the static ip address assigned to the printer to other devices. I'm no expert in networking.... clearly.  But it seems that in addition to identifying the IP address as "static" on the printer, you also need to "bind" that static ip address to the MAC address through the wifi router settings.  So, after reserving that IP address in the router for the printer, it now prints consistently over wifi.  What surprises me is that none of the online resources I came across mentioned the need to change the router settings in addition to the printer settings.  It certainly wasn't in the printer manual.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.