Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung C48x printer
Other

Hi, I just updated to macOS Catalina and I have a Samsung C48x Printer that has suddenly stopped working. 

Hi all, I have recently updated to macOS Catalina and this completely broke down my printing with a Samsung C48x printer. I can successfully install the drivers from scratch so the installer is 64-bit (I have a version from a few months back, although if i download it again it doesn't work). When I try to print a page, however, it actually prints an unlimited number of pages, each with some random ASCII symbols on one line only.

I am using AirPrint.

Does anyone suggest a fix? I have tried reinstalling the printer drivers (completely, by deleting them from ~/Library/Printers, as well as from the printer under System Preferences). I have restarted everything including the router etc but nothing really seems to work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi IronBadger, thank you for your reply. You are absolutely right. I thought that somehow AirPrint actually needs the drivers from the printer in order to be able to set it up. This made me realise that indeed I don't need the drivers from the printer at all in order to print! (Scanning is a different topic). 

So my solution was to remove the printer drivers entirely from ~/Library/Printers (just delete everything inside the folder), and now my printer started working normally again. 

Thank you

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

I am confused by your post.  The Samsung print drivers are not related to AirPrint and you state that you are using AirPrint.

You can completely remove all the Samsung software and still print using AirPrint.  AirPrint is a completely self contained driver solution built into macOS.

Based on this list from Apple your printer should work with AirPrint.

The 64-bit drivers for Samsung products are still in development though and will be released when complete.  In the interim AirPrint is the print solution for these products.

Here is a support video on setting up a printer via AirPrint.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

Hello Bogdan5, 

Please find a guide to be able to install your Samsung printer in the new MAC OS 10.15 update. I hope this helps. 

https://docdro.id/n4BZFUR

If not let me know, as of today, for scanning the easy document creator is no longer working. 

Regards 

HP Recommended

Thank you for that, unfortunately it does not work for me since I get the error The application "Install Software.app" can't be opened. even after I bypass gatekeeper. I am just trying to delete all the printer drivers and try AirPrint now

HP Recommended

Hi IronBadger, thank you for your reply. You are absolutely right. I thought that somehow AirPrint actually needs the drivers from the printer in order to be able to set it up. This made me realise that indeed I don't need the drivers from the printer at all in order to print! (Scanning is a different topic). 

So my solution was to remove the printer drivers entirely from ~/Library/Printers (just delete everything inside the folder), and now my printer started working normally again. 

Thank you

HP Recommended

Actually, I have an easier fix.

Re-add your printer in System Preferences.

When the printer shows up, make sure you do NOT select the AirPrint option.  Just select the actual name of the printer.

Make the newly added printer the Default printer.

Done.

I kept the AirPrint version AND the newly created printer in the list.  

Now, everything prints fine with Catalina...and I can still print from my iPhone XR using AirPrint.

HP Recommended

Sorry but your solution did not work for me before I just removed all the drivers from the Printers folder. The main problem was exactly that if I didn't print via AirPrint it failed to communicate correctly with the printer

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem. After upgrading to Mac OS Catalina, my Samsung Xpress M2835DL prints a line of ASCII symbols, then repeats with additional pages until the printer is turned off.

I tried deleting all Samsung drivers from my user and system libraries, but cannot fix this issue. The printer is installed using AirPrint, and I'm using the latest printer firmware.

Any solutions or ideas would be hugely appreciated.

HP Recommended

I've already posted the solution previously to your post on this thread.

But I'll repeat what worked for me.

Add another printer in the Printers and Scanners section.

Use the SAME printer as you previously had listed, but in the USE dropdown DO NOT USE AIR PRINT.  Use the actual name of the printer listed below AirPrint.  

Your printer will be added with the same name with a 2 as the suffix.  Make that printer the default printer.

Try printing again with the newly added 2 printer.  It should work fine.  

You'll still be able to AirPrint with an iPhone or iPad device because the AirPrint original printer is also present in the Printers and Scanners.

See if that helps.  Please post back with your results...if it worked or didn't work.  

HP Recommended

Thank you for this. Your solution seems to have worked. On this thread there is a (different) "accepted solution" highlighted in green, which I had tried without success. I appreciate your patience and swift response!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.