Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

By the way Brian (Old Stock) I really do understand your frustration.

The whole situation is crazy and someone should be made responsible, or at least HP should offer a solution .

We are left here in the Forum to find our own!!

I presume, if you are getting updates, that you are running either Windows 8 or 10.

If 10, how do you install the version of Flash on my link, because I hear that it won't install in Windows 10.

If you have a method, then others may be interested.

Also, perhaps you could consider the radical solution of blocking Windows updates, however, normally Microsoft makes an automatic  restore-point before updating. Strange you could not find it.

I wish you luck.

Regards Chris

HP Recommended

Brian, one more thing.

In my directory C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

I have the following 4 files:

Flash10h.ocx 
FlashInstall.log
FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.dll
FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.exe

If you like, I can make a link to download them and you could try simply copying them by hand into that directory (make the directory if it doesn't exist) if you can't install Flash. I don't know, however, if this will work??

Chris

HP Recommended

Hi Chris,  First of all I'd like to thank you VERY much for your help with this major problem!  I think the others here are also greatful for all of your help and friendly advice.  Too bad HP has to get it's customers to try to fix their HP problems on their own, without HP assistance.  This is something I will remember for life!

I'm recently retired, so I've already wasted about 4 or 5 days trying to get my perfectly good scanner to work.  HP's position on this is that if it's not under warranty, they do NOT want to have any contact with you.  Two year warranty?  Once it's past 2 years and a day, HP does NOT want to talk to you for anything.  Ever tried to get a human being email or phone or text from HP?  Good luck with that!  HP is hoping that if we ignore this problem, people will eventually forget all about it and buy something else (many will buy HP again as there are many people who don't care).  I fear they are correct.

When I went to restore, it could NOT find my created restore point, but said it would restore to just before the last two critical updates (I'm running windows 7 professional since I paid for it with my hard earned money).  I let it do the restore, then nothing would work (cursor would move all over, but nothing would open up or do anything except move the cursor around), so I had to hard boot the system.  Right after I re-booted the system, the two critical updates were re-installed (I noticed it when I went to try the restore again).  Every "critical" update from MS will likely cause it to do the same thing, so I'm giving up.

I  really worry about blocking "critical" updates from MS as many things MAY not work if these updates are ignored.

These days, nobody takes responsibility for anything that they do, corporations included, and they wonder why people hate these large tech companies!

I am giving up and will look around for another scanner, I will probably buy a "brother" since their laser printer (Brother HL-L2390 DW)  has a built in scanner and the whole thing goes for (here in Canada) about $125.  I'm sure brother will support their product better than HP, I mean anything is better than nothing, and I've had brother products before and they all work extremely well.  Let's see, HP (expensive, won't help customers with issues) vs Brother (supports their customers, inexpensive, dependable, works very well).  No contest!

I used to work, diagnose, repair and configure computers back when the 286 first came out, but got into another career later on, so I'm not a Techie, but I do know how computers work. 

I thank you again Chris, as do many others in our sinking boat, for all your help and efforts.  I'm off to buy a Brother printer/scanner (Brother L2390 DW) and will never again purchase Adobe or HP products.

Take care and good luck!

..brian... (aka Oldstock)

HP Recommended

Hi Brian,

Yes, I understand your frustration.

I also run Win 7 Pro and the last "Critical Update" was the Malicious Software Removal Tool  a few days ago.

This did not screw up my Flash for some reason.

I have the Updates set to "not install automatically" but to "inform me first and let me decide".

I decided to install the update.

Try one of the following:

1) I have zipped the 4 files that are installed to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.

You can download them at

http://www.argestuttgart.homepage.t-online.de/flash/files.zip

Before removing flash again, simply create the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder if it is not there and copy them into the flash folder. Mark the files as read only.

2) Remove whatever remnants of flash may be left over and re-install my version?

3) Alternatively, you can try starting the Flash Player which you may have in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Help\player\FlashPla.exe

I think this is installed when the orig. software was installed.

I have never tried it so I don't know what it does.

I guess it is just a question of how long you want to muck around with this dreadful software.

I wish you the best of luck Brian.

Just let me know how you go.

Regards

Chris

HP Recommended

Oh Brian, I forgot to mention, before you copy the 4 files to the Flash folder make sure you delete any files that may already be there.

Chris

HP Recommended

Thanks Chris, very much!  I am abandoning my efforts to get this flatbed scanner working.  I did all you suggested in your previous posts, but no luck.  I can't really fight MS (critical updates), Adobe ("hey, let's stop supporting our software and make everyone buy new stuff") and Hewlett-Packard ("I think it would be a great idea to use another company's software to drive our hardware and when they no longer support it, our products will fail.  Everyone will have to buy new stuff Great idea!!")

Words cannot adequately express my disgust with HP.

Thanks again for all your great suggestions, they all worked until MS decided to screw things up with their "critical updates".

..brian  (aka oldstock)

HP Recommended

Hi Brian, I quite understand your frustration.

I don't know why the update screwed things up for you, but I can well understand your wanting to distance yourself from HP.

Actually I got a job at HP here in Germany in 2000, but we were spun off a few times (Verigy, Agilent, Advantest) until I retired in 2015.  I had nothing to do with their consumer products (thank goodness) concentrating only on complicated industrial IC device testers.

Well, Brian, there are a lot of Flatbed Scanners that are not too expensive out there, so I wish you good luck.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Heaven knows how long my scanner will continue to work.

By the way, I am now having to buy a new Internet radio as the website (Qualcom RECIVA) supporting my and many hundreds (thousands) of other radios is being switched off in 15 days time.

Oh happy days!

Cheers.

Chris

HP Recommended

P.S. Brian, I presume you are trying to install the correct version of flash and not the original version.

The correct version is Version 10.1 at

http://www.argestuttgart.homepage.t-online.de/flash/install_flash_player_ax_10.1_ie.exe

Chris

HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

Thanks, when I tried to install your latest version, it said "this isn't the latest version, go to (url......).  Quit.  So can't install the version you asked about.  

i have wasted waaay too much time on this, so thanks Chris, even if I managed to install this version, the first windows critical update would screw it up all over again.  I am not wasting time on this any longer, Sheesh!!

Thanks again for your help Chris!

..brian..(aka oldstock)

HP Recommended

OK Brian, I now understand your installation problem.

I don't know why I can install it and you not, but be as that may.

I agree that your best bet is to forget this episode and look to the future with different hardware.

Again cheers and keep healthy.

Chris

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.