Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
LaserJet M1217nfw
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello:

The scanner feature on my All-In-One Laser Jet M1217nfw suddenly stopped working. The set up has not changed.

Scanner just doesnt want to scan any more. Its not a new unit, it is over 5 years old, but still prints and faxes great.

Apparently, the printer does recognize the computer, since when the scan command is given, the papers to be scanned

drop from the feeder. The scan bar functions normally and is not stuck. 

The scanner accepts all the pages, commences the scan process and midway thru the "PREVIEW" screen the thing dies.

I've tried this with multiple pages as well as single pages to be scanned so I dont think its a volume issue.

I've tried all the simple things like "on and off" computer and printer all to no avail.

If anyone has any good suggestions as to what may bring this back to life, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

I was thinking about uninstalling and re-installing the software/drivers but havent done that yet.

ALL REPLIES ARE SINCERELY APPRECIATED

thank you in advance

chip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would propose a reinstall of the software throught this link

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-m1217nfw-multifunction-pr...

Please check if there is any thing/ dirt stuck at the Auto Feeder .

Else please refer to the link of

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-laserjet-pro-m1217nfw-multifunction-printer-series/4292048/m...

***  Multiple pages scan

Save multiple pages or several photos into one PDF file using HP Scan software. To create PDF scan files you must have Adobe Reader software installed on the computer. Go to Get Adobe Reader to install the software.

1. Check the following requirements for multi-page document or photo scanning into one PDF file:
    • To save multiple photos into one file, you must use the PDF document-related shortcuts.
    • Use a resolution setting of 300 DPI or lower.
  2. Search Windows for 'HP', click your printer model name in the results to open HP Printer Assistant, and then click Scan a Document or Phototo open HP Scan.
  3. In HP Scan, select the Save as PDF or Document to File shortcut to scan the item.
    • If you scanned multiple pages from the ADF, click Save. All pages automatically save into a single file.
    • If you scanned from the scanner glass, load the next page or photo on the glass, and then click the plus button  or  in the HP Scan preview window to scan the next item. Repeat this step until all pages or photos are scanned, and then click Save.
  4. Confirm that PDF is selected in the Save as type menu, change the file name and the folder you want to save the scan to, and then click Save.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I would propose a reinstall of the software throught this link

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-m1217nfw-multifunction-pr...

Please check if there is any thing/ dirt stuck at the Auto Feeder .

Else please refer to the link of

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-laserjet-pro-m1217nfw-multifunction-printer-series/4292048/m...

***  Multiple pages scan

Save multiple pages or several photos into one PDF file using HP Scan software. To create PDF scan files you must have Adobe Reader software installed on the computer. Go to Get Adobe Reader to install the software.

1. Check the following requirements for multi-page document or photo scanning into one PDF file:
    • To save multiple photos into one file, you must use the PDF document-related shortcuts.
    • Use a resolution setting of 300 DPI or lower.
  2. Search Windows for 'HP', click your printer model name in the results to open HP Printer Assistant, and then click Scan a Document or Phototo open HP Scan.
  3. In HP Scan, select the Save as PDF or Document to File shortcut to scan the item.
    • If you scanned multiple pages from the ADF, click Save. All pages automatically save into a single file.
    • If you scanned from the scanner glass, load the next page or photo on the glass, and then click the plus button  or  in the HP Scan preview window to scan the next item. Repeat this step until all pages or photos are scanned, and then click Save.
  4. Confirm that PDF is selected in the Save as type menu, change the file name and the folder you want to save the scan to, and then click Save.
HP Recommended

Hello:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did follow the suggestion. I uninstalled and re-installed the software/drivers.

After doing so, the scanner is now working, bit v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y

Better than nothing tho!

Thanks

HP Recommended

You may try our mobile scan and capture app "HP JetAdvantage Capture" on iPhone or Android phone, freedownload.

I work for HP.
HP Recommended

thanks!

at this point, all I am trying to do is figure out how to get the thing to go a bit faster!

it's like watching paint dry on a wall 

but, at least, its is now working

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.