Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
08-13-2022 08:54 AM
Welcome to the HP User Community.
What you can do depends on the model of printer.
In general - Yes, HP Smart provides access to the printer features supported on the printer model.
In particular, some features depend on having installed the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software.
There are parts to the Printer Software:
- HP Smart application - supports printing and scanning PDF and Photos / Images. HP Smart is supported in many regions and on many newer networked printers - The app is available from the Microsoft Store . HP Smart requires that you sign in using your HP Account credentials. HP Smart benefits when the full driver printer software is also installed.
- HP Smart Printing – “Smart Printing” is a selection in the printer list when choosing the printer to be used for the current job setup. For example, where supported for an InkJet printer, the feature is available as selection in HP Smart > If more than one "added printer", Select Printer for current job > Select Print Documents OR Print Photos > Printer (list – top left of menu) > HP Smart Printing
- HP Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software - supports printing and scanning from the web, printing in programs (for example, Word), and access to the full range of Printing Preferences / Shortcuts. The full driver printer software includes HP Scan. If the printer model includes built-in Fax hardware, the software supports the setup and use of the Fax driver. No Sign-in required.
HP Smart for Windows
HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store
Open the Homepage / Support Website for your printer
Category Software and Drivers > Check/ Get the App
>>> Open and Read >>> HP printer setup (HP Smart app)
- Read FAQ - including - What are the requirements to set up a printer using the HP Smart app?
- Disconnect from Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection before downloading.
- Turn on Wi-Fi on your computer or mobile device and connect to your network. If the computer is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, temporarily disconnect the cable and use the Wi-Fi connection during the setup.
- Enable Bluetooth for an HP Smart app setup: Enable Bluetooth on your computer or mobile device so that HP Smart can detect the printer during the setup. Source: How to scan with an HP printer > FAQ > Why can't I connect my wireless printer or scan over the network?
- HP Smart requires that you sign into the application using your HP Account credentials.
- When working through a browser to access HP Smart, be sure you have Cookies enabled. If cookies are enabled and you are having trouble, clear Cache and Cookies. And / Or … Try a different browser – assign that browser as the Default. (Note: Chrome not working? Use / Assign a different default browser.)
- Where possible, HP Smart benefits (likes) having the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software installed. For example, full driver provides access to Shortcuts and Printing Preferences.
- Document includes the HP Smart application download links for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues.
- FAQ examples:
- What are the requirements to use the HP Smart app?
- Which printers are compatible with the HP Smart app?
- Why do I need to sign in or create an account to use the HP Smart app features?
- Which languages does the HP Smart app support?
- Older versions of the HP Smart app no longer support the required login feature.
- Update the application to the latest version to access / use HP Smart
- FAQ examples:
Mobile Printing – Options for Printers
Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.
Open the section for your printer series > Find your printer and supported applications.
HP Smart (Mobile) - iOS and Android >>> Download, How-to, and FAQ
“Print Anywhere App” Supported on Select Printers
HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems
“Things that are your printer”
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
Categories: Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more
Enter the device type and model name of your HP device
Thank you for participating in the HP Community.
Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community