Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Until last week I had been successfully scanning into Acrobat Pro using my Mac. Then HP became crap and I was getting malware messages from the Mac OS. I called Apple support and they were very helpful, even though the solution didn't work. I downloaded a new version of HP Smart. (I only wanted a new driver, but that was no longer an option on HP.)

In the past week, I have downloaded and installed three new versions of the HP software. Each time I get a new error. Sometimes another malware error (many times). The latest is an error message that says the Selected Color Format is Not Supported. I can scan with HP Smart, but I need to use Acrobat for processing.

Since my product is out of warranty, HP is offering no support at all. Their virtual assistant is virtually useless. The support forum has not helped. 

HP should treat their customers better than this! Maybe get support training from Apple.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Try this set/order below to get up and running again:

Use the HP Uninstaller: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02440673
If you still have a folder marked HP, delete it (likely here: /Library/Printers/hp ).

Use Easy Start ( https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-easy-start/7376041      -make sure your OS is correct)

and see if your printer is supported. If not, or this doesn't solve the issue,  move on to the next steps.

Uninstall your printer USING THIS METHOD ONLY (NOT EASY START, NOT EASY ADMIN): Apple Logo (Upper Left of Screen)/System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. Then restart your computer.

See if you can print. If not, continue:
Download (and install) this package (From HP FTP) which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen...  
If the link comes up blank, try right/control clicking and saving it. Or right/control click and copy link, and paste into browser bar. If you get the malware warning part-way through the installation, go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy where you can tick a box and unblock the HP option.

The install takes a bit. Let it run, even if it seems like it stalled out! When it completes, restart.

Then reinstall your printer using: Apple Logo (Upper Left of Screen)/System Preferences/Printers & Scanners, and use the default drivers. If drivers do not show up, download and install the 5.1 driver package from here: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US . Then restart your computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.