Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8740
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

When I first set up the HP Officejet printer I set up the scan to email function and completed the test process to make sure it was working. It did. A few days later I attempted to scan a document to an email and I keep getting the error message "Cannot connect to server. Check Server name and address." I'm not technilogically savy but I believe everything is connected. I press the server connection icon which states I'm connected to my server. I looked back at the instructions and can't figure out what I need to do. This is a function I desperatly need for my business. Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ernieS7712

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

I understand that you have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer and cannot scan to email. You have done a remarkable job in troubleshooting this issue. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Is the printer able to print? If yes then it indicates that the network connectivity is good.
  • Did any software changes or updates happen on the Mac computer?

Please ensure that the following steps to enable scan to email:

1. Confirm the following requirements for the scan to email feature. If you do not meet these requirements, you can manually attach the file to an email message by saving the scan to a folder on the computer.

• In most cases, scan to email works only when a local email client such as Apple Mail is installed and setup on the computer.

• Web-based email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail) must be configured through your local email client to scan to them. Check your local email support site for additional information.

2. Start the scan, depending on your printer type.

• Printers with touchscreen or LCD menu control panels: From the Scan menu on the printer, select your computer name, and then select Email as PDF or Email as JPEG A new email message automatically opens on the computer.

Additionally, some Web-enabled HP printers have a Scan to Email app in the Apps menu that sends emails directly from the printer using your printer's ePrint email address.

• Printers with buttons only or printers without scan to email menu options: Continue to the next step to start the scan from the computer.

3. Open Finder , click Go in the top menu bar, click Applications, and then double-click Image Capture.

Figure : Apple Image Capture

Apple Image Capture
  4. Click your printer name in the Devices or Shared list, and then click Show Details at the bottom of the screen, if necessary.

After the preview of the scan displays, change the following settings:

• Scan Mode: Select the scanning bed or automatic document feeder, depending on where you loaded the original on the printer.

• Scan to: Select Mail.

• Name: Type a name for the scan file so that the email recipient knows what the attachment is.

• Format: Select the file type for the scan. When you select the PDF or TIFF format, the Combine into single document feature is available to save multiple page documents or multiple images into a single file.

5. Click Scan.

A new email message automatically opens with the scan attached.

If the scan to email still does not work then let us follow the below steps:

Remove multiple printers from the printer list:

1. Search the Mac for Print, and then click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners in the list of results.

2. Find the printer names that match your printer from the list of devices.

Figure : Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of a printer in the list

Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of HP Photosmart 7520 printers shown  in the list
  3. If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list. Leave one 'idle' printer in the list that matches your printer if available and use this printer as the Default printer.

4. Try scanning again.

If the issue persists then delete the existing print queue and add the printer:

• Make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet.

• In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button  to delete it.

• Click the Add button .

• Find and select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

NOTE: If your printer does not display in the list, make sure the printer is connected, turned on, has power, and is ready to print.

Figure : Example of the printer selection list

Image: The Add window showing a selection of printers with one model selected.
  • Click Print Using or Use.

• Add the printer as AirPrint.

Figure : Menu showing AirPrint selected

Image: Menu showing AirPrint selected

Your new printer queue displays in the Printers list in an Idle status .

Figure : Example of a newly added printer in the Printers & Scanners list

Image: The printers and scanners windows with one printer in the printers list
  • Try scanning again.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me. However, the scanner performed exactly that action as you suggested. The 8740 has an option to scan documents directly to email. More often than not I am on the go quickly and having to perform extra steps in between sending an email is exactly what I try to avoid. Having the ability to scan direct to emails is one of the several reasons why I invested in this multi functional printer. Can someone please help me set that feature up if it isn't set up correctly. I treid setting it up through the web based set up and I couldn't even get through the first page before it was telling me somethign was missing that I don't even know the information needed to provide. 

HP Recommended

@ernieS7712

You're welcome. 🙂

I suggest you to access the printers EWS page (Embedded Web Server) page and enter the following settings:

Default From: enter your email address here

Default Display Name: xxxx

SMTP Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com

SMTP Port: 587

Always Use secure connection SSL/TLS (checked)

Validate Server Certificate (UnChecked)

Maximum Size of Email: Unlimited

Server Requires Authentification (checked)

User name: enter your email address here

Password: your email account password

NOTE: To access the EWS page of the printer, enter the IP address of your printer into the web browser and hit search (like you do to surf a website, but in place of the website address, you need to enter the IP address to open the EWS page). Touch the wireless icon on the printer to view the printer's IP address.

Hope this works out. Let me know. Cheers! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.