Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 1510
macOS 10.15 Catalina

QUICK UPDATE: a second restart of both the computer and the printer, carried out just after I posted the message below and done more in a spirit of hope than expectation, has fixed the problem, to my great surprise. I'll leave this here in case anyone else encounters the same issue.

I've been scanning old photo prints from this HP all-in-one without a problem for months with good quality results using Apple's Image Capture app. But as of today everything I scan is too dark and too saturated.

It's not possible to recover the detail using the picture settings on either Apple's Image Capture app or using VueScan (HP's own EasyScan returns an error message in Mac OS Catalina). I've tried restarting the computer and unplugging/replugging the HP device with no change.

It's also not possible to get back the lost detail by editing the files in Photoshop. Take a look at the two versions of the same image I have posted.The dark one is the result of today's scan. The lighter one was photographed by my iPhone and is what the picture actually looks like. 

It's not a display settings issue because the hundreds of images I scanned before today look fine on the same iMac screen.

Is this a hardware issue – something has worn out in the electronics – or is there a way of resetting the device that might fix things? Thanks in advance for any advice.1984-MattMamScan.jpeg1984-MattMam - 1.jpeg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.