Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I lay a sheet to be printed on the printer glass and push the black button, it won't print black. I've tried also pushing the color button but still no black print.  When I try feeding it thru the top feeder, I get the same results; no black print.   It will print color but not black.  It prints both black and color when I make a print request from my laptop.  I've tried disconnecting and resetting but it's still doing the same thing.  

Suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@barobinson

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Are you able to make a black copy from the printer?
  • Have you tried changing the print settings before printing in black?
  • What's the application you are trying to print from? 
  • Have you tried printing from a different application or device? 

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 
Print a Print Quality Diagnostic page in Windows using HP Printer Assistant.

Load paper into the input tray.

Open or search for the HP folder in your list of installed software programs, click the folder for your printer, and then click the name of your printer.

The HP Printer Assistant software opens.

On the HP Printer Assistant window, click Maintain Your Printer.

Click the Device Services tab, and then click Print Quality Diagnostics Page ().

The printer prints the Print Quality Diagnostic Page.

Example of a Print Quality Diagnostic page without defects

Examine the colour blocks on the Print Quality Diagnostic page to make sure that the colour blocks do not show white lines, and are not faded or missing.

Example of the color blocks without defects.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi community!

The information in the following link may help:

HP DeskJet 2600, 2700, 4100, 4800 printers - No black ink, wrong colors, other print quality issues

SofiaML
HP Support Community

I work on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.