Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Scanjet Pro 3500 f1 scanner
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My company purchased a few of these flatbed scanners and almost half of them have had this issue.  Most of the times they were still under warranty so HP replaced them for free, but I've just had 2 scanners have this same issue within a week of each other, but because the warranty has run out on both of them, HP will not replace them.  I thought that was quite unfair of them since there is obviously a flaw with their hardware based on the fact that this is not an isolated incident.  Needless to say we will not be purchasing any more HP scanners.  Can anyone recommend a better scanner that is comparable to this flatbed scanner that is not an HP brand?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@RudigUSB

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Are you using the document feeder, or scanning from the flatbed?

Vertical black stripes are normally caused by a piece of paper or dirt that landed on the scanner glass.  Open the lid and view the glass strip at the end of the flatbed.  Brush or blow out anything you find.  It should line up with the area of the stripe.

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

The HP Pro 3500 has both a feeder and a flatbed, and I wish that were the case, but we've done the cleaning and troubleshooting and it's a hardware issue.  More than likely a bulb is bad and that's why the black bar across the document is about an inch thick.  Like I stated, we've purchased a few of these and just about half of them have had this same issue.

HP Recommended

The scanners are no longer under warranty and that is why HP will not replace them.  One warranty expired in December and the other expired in Feb., but like I said, they replaced the ones that were under warranty, they just won't replace these because the warranties expired even though it's the same exact issue with the ones that did get replaced.

HP Recommended

Is the only resolution to this issue replacement?  We have two scanners and they both started doing this yesterday.  We cleaned glass, made sure firmware and all were up to date and still no resolution.

HP Recommended

We've had 8 of these issues and each time, HP makes me troubleshoot by using both the ADF and flatbed then also using a different cable and using Windows to scan and each time they've replaced it because it is a bulb issue.  That's why It sucks that they wouldn't replace the 2 I had that were no longer under warranty, knowing **bleep** well it's a bulb issue and they know it is.

HP Recommended

I am having this exact same issue (1 inch vertical bar on scans), including that my warranty on this piece of equipment just expired.  I have completed all the suggested troubleshooting steps to no avail.  I love this piece of equipment and will be disappointed if I can't repair it.   With all the consistent reports of the same problem occurring, I am hoping that you have a repair tip or recall that can be used to fix this problem.  Please let me know if you have any updates on this situation.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Document has a thick black bar (see image below) when scanned when using the HP Scanjet Pro 4500 fn1 using the flatbed scanner, NOT the document feeder. Cleaning does nothing to improve. Purchased on 12/11/2017 but started having this issue in May of 2019, but didn't have time to deal with poor HP Tech Support, or lack-of-tech-support. This was an expensive unit, around $700. It's now useless. What to do?

There should really be a recall on these defective units, especially given the expensive price tag.

Bob

black_bar hp scanjet 4500 fn1.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi Kevin_T,

Is HP going to issue a recall on these defective unit? It is clearly a hardware failure. 

Bob

‎01-01-2020 03:58 PM

I have the same issue. Document has a thick black bar (see image below) when scanned when using the HP Scanjet Pro 4500 fn1 using the flatbed scanner, NOT the document feeder. Cleaning does nothing to improve. Purchased on 12/11/2017 but started having this issue in May of 2019, but didn't have time to deal with poor HP Tech Support, or lack-of-tech-support. This was an expensive unit, around $700. It's now useless. What to do?

There should really be a recall on these defective units, especially given the expensive price tag.

Bob

Bobblack_bar hp scanjet 4500 fn1.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.