Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello!

I am upgrading my grandfathers printer and have run into some issues setting up the fax. His previous printer was set up to send or receive fax and I remember running the installation wizard without difficulty the last time. He has been given a HP5255 printer/fax as a replacement for his older HP product, and I am looking for advice on what Im doing wrong. I cant say I have much experience setting up fax machines and this one has me stumped. 

His set up:

2 separate phone jacks for the same line

a) 1 phone jack has a phone (with a built in answering machine) in the kitchen

b) a separate phone jack in the computer room that has only ever been used for the printer/fax machine. There are no splitters attached, his internet is through Rogers Cable.

I have tried all configurations for the settings and cant get it to work. Just to confirm, what is the best way to answer the questions about "Receiving both fax and voice calls at your phone number" if the device is set up on the same phone number but two different phone jacks in different rooms. 

When I attempt to do a test fax, I get the following:

Fax Hardware Test - PASS

Fax Connected to Active Telephone Wall Jack - PASS

Phone Cord Connected to Correct Port on Fax - PASS

Using Correct Type of Phone Cord with Fax - PASS

Dial Tone Detection - FAIL

Fax Line Noise Test - Not Run
Fax Line Condition Test - FAIL

"Your fax line has a weak signal"
"A dial tone was not detected"

Any thoughts?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Check and make sure that you have the line plugged into the correct plug on the machine. If this was a new machine, the will usually have a phone cord with them, use that. If you are not getting a dial tone, it would suggest that either the line voltage is too weak or something is blocking the line. Fax over VOIP, which is most likely what you have setup is troublesome under the best conditions. If not alot of faxing is going to be done, a more reliable solution would be to look at a fax to email service or HP Mobile Fax.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.