Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
MFP M479FDN

Hi,

I recently bought an HP Laser Jet Pro MFP M479FDN and I'm having some issues setting up the "scan to email" functionality.

Following the guides available on the HP support portal, I set everything up the way it needs to be. However, when I test the configuration I set up for "scan to email" via the EWS / web interface, I always get an error that states my username and/or password for the SMTP server are incorrect.

This is not the case as I tested the exact same credentials via https://smpter.net/ and the email was successfully sent.

I am not using a GMail address for the printer to send from, but rather an email address from my own domain.

Given that sending emails works with the online tool I mentioned above, I can only imagine that there is something weird going on with the printer.

Please let me know what other steps I can try to get this functionality working.

Thanks,

Florian

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are many security protocols which are more complex and doesn't allow the printer to connect (e.g. Two-Steps Verification, mobile veirifcation, Allow Less Secure apps, etc.)

Almost any email provided have different advanced security options which will not allow a printer to connect.

What email provider do you use? your own domain relies on your own SMTP server? any specific SMTP Service provider? etc.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

My domain is hosted by World4You and they provide the SMTP server as well as mailboxes that go along with the domain package. That means that the mailbox I set up for the printer on the World4You site is something like printer@example.com (Please note that this is not the actual email address of the printer, but rather an example. I can give you the actual email address if you need it).

Their SMTP server is actually smtp.world4you.com, which I correctly entered along with the port specified by the provider.

There is no 2FA of any kind set up for the email address, so sending via a simple SMTP test sender (there are multiple online) works like a charm.

I noticed that I could set up the email address for the "email alarms" without any problems since the test email arrived immediately.

Only when I try to set up the same email address using the same SMTP server for the "Scan to email" function, it says that username or password are incorrect.

It seems that it generally works and the problem is neither with the SMTP server nor the mail provider.

Thanks,

Florian

EDIT: Corrected typo in "username"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.