Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This worked for me.  In essence, a paper jam has gotten the scanner bulb unit stuck out of place and not resetting to it's default position.

The hardest part was identifying the clips holding the scanner bed and glass into place.  They are directly behind the control panel and we pried them apart with a pocket knife.    The screws we used allen wrenchs for...  metric   and the screws are magnetic if one won't come out of it's hole.  Also make sure you find the two screws back by the lid hinge.  We missed those the first go around.

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your howto. Printer works again.

You should work in HP support.

HP support was useless. So many people with the same problem ....

I owe you a beer 😉

HP Recommended
I tried your procedure but it did not work. My HP 4500 Officejet wireless is about 2 years and worked fine until the "Scanner failure cannot scan, copy or fax" message came on. I am still able to print from my computer but cannot copy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
HP Recommended

Many thanks, Greasy68! It works perfect! I want you to know that I signed up only to can replay, in order to thank you!

Gabriel

HP Recommended
This procedure did not solve the problem. After meticulously following the instructions I was still unable to copy, scan or send a fax.
HP Recommended

Thank you Very Very Much.

it worked like a charm, the photos are very helpful.

Thanks!!

HP Recommended

greasy68,

Thanks for the excellent instructions. Worked perfectly. 

Tom

HP Recommended

The pictures and text worked beautifully.  Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

Had this problem and feared the worst. Scrap it and buy new. However, read your post, found the spindle in question, gave it a few twists both ways between finger and thumb, PROBLEM GONE!! No tools needed. Can't thank you enough (at least £50-60 saved).

HP Recommended

Thank you so much buddy.... Ur solution worked perfect for me..... And who takes extra efforts to put in pictures but ur pictures were very very helpful... Thank you so much...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.