Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
MacOS Big Sur 11.1
Other

I have never been able to get any application to recognize the scanner.

I have always been able to use the print function and the copy function.

I have the latest firmware and drivers.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

My printer is a HP Laserjet Pro MFP M28a.

I have followed previous posts, and my scanner never appears in any scanner application for my Mac.

The print and copy functions work perfectly.

HP Recommended

Hi @mr_william_clar,

I'd like to help!

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Uninstall HP Easy Start

• Click on Spotlight icon and type HP Uninstaller or by opening HP Easy Start.
  • Click on Continue to uninstall the software.
  • When prompted for Password, type in your system password
  • You can also uninstall by opening HP Easy Start.

Download HP Easy Start and install the printer.

You can also install the HP Smart App and print and scan using the app.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I removed all hp software using HP Uninstaller.

I downloaded HP Easy Start, which installed HP Easy Start and HP Easy Scan. My printer was also added to Printers and Scanners.

I cannot add the AirPrint Printer, because my HP Laserjet Pro MFP M28a does not support AirPrint.

When I run HP Easy Scan, it does not recognize a scanner.

When I run Image Capture, it also does not recognize a scanner.

This has been my problem all along. The printer works fine. The copier works fine. But the scanner is not recognized.

HP Recommended

To better assist you - Is there antivirus software installed on your Mac? If yes, please try disabling it and check if it works.

While you respond to that, go to System Information to check if the USB is detected or not - 

a.) From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.

b.) Click System Report.

c.) Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB. USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus.

If the device is not detected, it may not be receiving enough power or it may be blocked by internet security software. You may also try other ports on the hub or a different cable.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

My virus software (MalwareBytes) is disabled, and that did not help.

The System Information shows my HP Laserjet under USB2. But we knew that it would be there because the printer function works just fine.

Can you think of anything else to check?

Thanks again for your time.

HP Recommended

If you do not have other printers installed on the computer, try the Reset printing system and add your printer again

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list

Add printer -

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

NOTE: Make sure that the printer Kind is Bonjour or Bonjour Multifunction, or USB.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add. Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Let me know how this goes!

HP Recommended

I was able to follow your instructions thru step 4 successfully.

But step 5 says:

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add. Select AirPrint from the Use menu

I can't find a Use or Print Using menu, so I can't select AirPrint. But I am pretty sure my printer does not support AirPrint.

HP Recommended

Are you able to Add the USB printer?

And can share an image for the image capture or HP Scan looking for the printer?

Yes, the printer does not support AirPrint.

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Here is System Preferences/Printers and Scanners page showing installed USB printer, and HP Easy Scan not seeing any scanner.

Hmmm, no matter what I try, I cannot add a picture to this message. 😕

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.