Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I have an HP Smart Tank Plus 655 Printer, Scanner. I only bought it a couple of years ago. All has been working fine until a few months ago when, although the printer is working, albeit slow, the scanner will not work, it is not being recognised on my PC. The only change I have made is to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11. The Printer still appears on my Device List. Can anyone suggest how I can rectify this please? 

Sandy

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@SandyWild 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

@SandyWild wrote:

I have an HP Smart Tank Plus 655 Printer, Scanner. I only bought it a couple of years ago. All has been working fine until a few months ago when, although the printer is working, albeit slow, the scanner will not work, it is not being recognised on my PC. The only change I have made is to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11. The Printer still appears on my Device List. Can anyone suggest how I can rectify this please? 

Sandy

The change / upgrade of Operating System version is especially hard on installed software.

If you have not done so,

Uninstall the full driver printer software from Programs and Features

Restart computer and log in

Install the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software.

Restart computer and log in

Next,

For this model:

After the full driver printer software is installed,

If you use OCR,

Install the Universal Scan Driver

HP Universal Scan - Full Feature Software and Driver 

Video - Install Software

HP Smart Tank 500|651|655: Reset Network, Install Full Feature Software using Auto Wireless Connect

Reference - Provided FYI

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Printer Software – Full Driver Installation – Details / Examples

Depending on the printer and the Operating system / version, and for a supported Printer model / series, there are generally two methods to install the full driver printer software.

Easy Start Software is a wrapper that will find and install your printer software – If you want to install the full driver software, you do need to select the "Full Driver" when the option is presented.

The Web Pack Installation Package method uses the full driver installation package for your printer.  This method is dependent on the Web Pack package being available for your system / OS.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Method - Use the Easy Start Software to Install HP Smart and / or the Full Feature / Full Driver Software

Easy Start Installation Package - Information and Download / Save

• Open  Home Page - HP Easy Start >> Click to open Category Software and Drivers 
  • Download and Save the current version of the Easy Start Software installation package  to install your print software

Easy Start can be used to install your printer software or the HP Smart application.

If the HP Smart Application is (already) Uninstalled, Use Easy Start OR Get a new copy of the application from the Microsoft Store

If you want to install the full driver printer software, choose the "Full Software and Drivers" option during the Easy Start installation procedure.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

Preparation

• If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software  from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers

NOTE:  If the printer also installs Help files - Uninstall the printer help file package from Programs and Features when you are uninstalling the main printer software.

• >>> After the printer software is uninstalled, check that the printer is not still lurking in Devices and Printers.  If the printer is listed, Right-Click on the printer and "Remove" > Restart the computer and sign in.

Continuing

• If using VPN, shut it off to install software.  NOTE >> If you don’t know what this is, you are not using a VPN – ignore this part.

• Reminder:  If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software.  Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).

• Observation:  It is possible (assuming your Wireless Network is stable) that using a Wireless connection to install the printer software might work better than using an Ethernet Connection.   Personal choice - the Wireless connection method is recommended when you face insurmountable issues installing the software.

Installation

• Download and Save the Full Feature Software Web Pack installation package or the Easy Start Software
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • If using a USB printer cable to connect the printer to the computer, connect the cable when instructed to do so, near the end of the installation procedure
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

If using Easy Start

• Skip any extra software / offers you do not want – Wording varies as does the number of times you have to “skip” or opt-out of various options.
  • When asked, opt for "Full Software and Drivers" (exact wording might vary).
  • Easy_Start_Full_Driver_2Easy_Start_Full_Driver_2
  • If, after the Full Software and Drivers option is selected, the installation terminates (suddenly stops and disappears – never comes back): Open your Downloads folder > Look for and Right-Click on the full Web installation package and “Run as Administrator

NOTES

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Windows 11

Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Printers and scanners

Scroll down > Switch OFF Let Windows manage my default printer

Scroll up > Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Set as Default

Windows 10

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

References / Resources

Note

HP Universal Scan Software  - Full Feature Software and Driver – Where supported (model dependent), the Universal Scan software adds the OCR library set to HP Scan.  Check for the Universal Scan software installation package in Printer Homepage > Category Software and Drivers.  Universal Scan should be installed after the full driver printer software.

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP Smart Tank Plus 650 Wireless All-in-One series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your reply. I am printing it out and will follow your instructions. I thought it may have to do with changing to Windows 11 as it was fine before then but I don't know much about PC's.  I will let you know how I get on, again many thanks.  Sandy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.