Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series
Other

Hi there,

I've setup some Smart Tasks to scan to email and Google Drive which have been working previously.

I've started receiving the following when trying to launch the Smart Apps app from the display on the printer:

The printer was unable to connect to the server. Please try again later

The Smart Tasks work AOK from the iOS or MacOS app, the printer is connected to my home WiFi and I can print to it without any issues.

I have tried power-cycling the printer and updating to latest firmware - its running the latest already.

Would welcome any suggestions as the printer has been working really well using Smart Tasks up until today.

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I just wanted to reply saying that I have the same issue. I just bought the printer. It arrived a few days ago, first day smart tasks was working, Then when I tried yesterday and today smart tasks stopped working.

Also connected to my home wifi. Tried switching off/on again, also unplugging from wall. The printer says its connected to wifi, but get the same error stated in the original post saying that "The printer was unable to connect to the server". We have the hp officejet pro 9010.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I ended up doing a factory restore of the printer which after doing and re-syncing the Smart Tasks to the printer via the HP mobile app got it working again (using the Smart Tasks app from the printer display). Not ideal and I hope this isn't going to have to be a regular occurrence if Smart Tasks stops working in future - apart from some printing every now and then scanning using Smart Tasks is primarily what I use this device for.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem (HP9020), HP Smarts works fine since purchased (Jun) then now it just have the "unable to connect to server". how do you do the factory restore ?

HP Recommended

Hi, you might want to refer to the user manual for your specific printer: https://support.hp.com/au-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-9020-all-in-one-printer-series/23918456/manual...

For me, for the 9010, I went to my printer's web portal (open web browser > IP address of the printer), then Settings > Restore Defaults > Restore Factory Defaults and follow prompts.

You can also perform the same via the display panel on the printer itself.

You'll then need to set the printer up again from scratch as if you just opened / connected it.

Hope it helps.

Tim 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue: works fine from my android app, but not from the printer itself. This is necessary, because my wife also has a smart taks to scan to her email. 

Where in the app can you sync the smart tasks? I can't seem to find that option. I have my printer at the top of the screen, if I click that I get all sorts of configuration options, but "Sync Smart Tasks" is nowhere to be found...

Want to try syncing before I do a factory reset.

Could a recent (mandatory) firmware update be causing this? Smart tasks being lost during the installation of that firmware?

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have an iPhone, however, from the HP Smart iOS app, once launched, select "Smart Tasks" from the coloured tiles that appear, at the bottom of the Smart Tasks list you have configured, there should be a "Sync My Smart Tasks To This Printer" option I have this enabled.

Hope it helps.

Tim

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. 

I have an Android app, and where I think you are pointing me, I briefly see a "refreshing circle" (see screenshot), but this goes away, and then there is nothing...

screenshot.png

HP Recommended

Yes in the iOS app, it does something similar - in that the toggle takes a moment to appear before being visible. Perhaps you could try deleting the app and reinstalling? Failing that you may need to try a factory restore of the printer as I indicated initially as this was the only way I got things working again.

HP Recommended

Hey, I was racking my brain all day on this one and came here for a solution but I came up with something different.

I saw people doing the factory reset and thought maybe there is a setting, Well, there is.

What worked for me was unchecking this and re-checking the setting.

Steps:

1. log into the webserver on the printer.

2. go to settings

3. find and expand security

4. find and click on "Administrator Settings"

5. scroll down until you see "Smart Tasks"

6. uncheck  "Smart Tasks" and click apply.

7 repeat 2-5

8. check  "Smart Tasks" and click apply.

9. go back to the HP Smart App and click on your printer then Smart Tasks

10. The option to Sync my Smart tasks to my printer should be available.

11. check the printer

12. rejoice with your favorite beverage or treat. 😉

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.