Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to use the document feeder to scan documents, and so am left scanning individual pages on the scanner glass, which is of course extremely time-consuming.

I'm using the HP Smart app, and select the source as "Document Feeder" as per the below screenshot, yet it then scans from the glass rather than the feeder. I've checked I'm using the latest software, restarted my computer and the program, yet the scanner still won't use the document feeder. Any help would be appreciated please.

PeterHughes86_0-1652064279613.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi@PeterHughes86,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing scanning issues with the HP Printer from document feeder.  

I have a few recommendations 

Reset the printer

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector and printer.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Click this link to Set up a Scan to Email connection to scan from the printer control panel to an email inbox.  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03862727

Click on this link if the printer does not pick up or feed paper. https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-5740-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617253/model/667...

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@PeterHughes86,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing scanning issues with the HP Printer from document feeder.  

I have a few recommendations 

Reset the printer

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector and printer.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Click this link to Set up a Scan to Email connection to scan from the printer control panel to an email inbox.  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03862727

Click on this link if the printer does not pick up or feed paper. https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-5740-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617253/model/667...

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Didn't work at all - same issue persists. I'm going to go with "craptastic software" as the root cause analysis result here.

HP Recommended

Go into your settngs and make sure Webscan is enabled.  Once it is, you should be able to use the ADF option in your Windows Scan and Fax application.  Without it enabled, it doesn't seem like HP Smart can properly recognize all options from the scanner.  You might also want to experiment with the position of the document that you put in the feeder.  If you don't hear a chime to signify the page is found, the feeder won't function.

AKAK_56_0-1657209496535.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.