Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Solution Center / HP Photosmart C3140
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was using my Photosmart C3140 All-in-One scanner yesterday, but today HP Solution Center will not fully load. Since moving to Windows 10, I've had to run it as Administrator, but that's not working today. I get a dialog titled "HP Solution Center" with a large icon containing an 'f' in a box next to an 'i' in a circle.

I've already tried to uninstall/reinstall "AIO_CDA_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_140_408-4.exe".

I've also run HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.5.2. It did not find any problems other than my print cartridges, which have been empty for a very long time. I only use this device for scanning.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Flash Player is retired and no longer working, the HP Solution center software is based on Flash:

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

You may install HP Scan Extended, then open the HP Scan Extended from the Programs menu and you should be able to scan:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks. HP Scan installed and it runs, but every time a scan completes, a thumbnail of the scan is displayed for only a split second in the left-hand pane. It then disappears, and I never see a file created in the configured directory (C:\Scans).

HP Recommended

Please click the Notifications icon and check if you may see any block notification from Windows Defender, check it settings to allow the application.

HP Recommended

I disabled Windows Defender and experienced the same result. A scan thumbnail is displayed briefly and then disappears.

Is there a log file that might hold some information?

HP Recommended

And don't you see any notification there when clicking the Notifications area icon?

00_lead_image_hiding_number_badge.png

HP Recommended

The only notification is the warning that virus protection is turned off.

HP Recommended

I had similar with my printer OJ J4500. Try from MS store, download application called HP Scan and Capture

HP Recommended

I tried to get HP Scan and Capture, but nothing happens when I click "GET" on the Microsoft Store page. Can't seem to find any other place to download it.

HP Recommended

Thank you Shlomil,

I didn't realize that HP Solution Center ran on Flash, but when I needed to scan and save a document for verification purposes, and my program showed only a big ? with and i in it, but nothing was being done to explain what had happened, I felt lost and admittedly very frustrated.  I'm glad I came here, and found I was not the first or only person having this exact problems.

Anyway, I downloaded and installed the HP Scan Extended, scanned my document and saved it as a file, exactly where I wanted it to go, and it worked perfectly.  I will admit, I liked the interface with the older program much better, but that is because I've used it for many years and was comfortable with it.  This new program did work just as well, which means you solved my problem.  And that is all that really matters.

Thank you so very much for your excellent advice, and for giving us an alternative program that actually works.

Take care, and keep safe,

Sandie

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.