Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion laptop and Officejet J5780 all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Cannot get past this white screen to 'home' to scan documents etc.

I am aware support for Adobe Flash Player ceased on 31/12/2020 and this is an old printer/scanner/copier, is there a work around or do I need some new software e.g. VueScan for Windows 10?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Pajak282 

==============================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Reminder to those reading:

Do NOT respond to vermin who post phone numbers or email addresses.

HP does not post phone numbers or email in Community messages.

It is true you'll need something -

Solution Centre (or any) software dependent on Adobe Flash is not going to work now that Flash has been permanently disabled.

I used VueScan years ago as a means of testing it - the "free version" was totally unusable since saving the scan included large "VueScan" logos all over the content.  Just a means of forcing the purchase of the software, I guess.  Other than that, it appeared to be OK.  I didn't purchase the software - I assume it is fine.

If it works with your printer (unknown), I'd suggest trying HP Scan and Capture.

HP Scan and Capture - Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Windows Scan – Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Honestly, I don't have a printer old enough to test to see what would be best - or what would work.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Officejet J5780 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.

HP Solution Centre 140.0 .18.23

Windows 10

HP Photosmart Premium C410

Using install package PS_AIO_07_C410_140_408-5

HP Recommended

@Pajak282 

Welcome to the HP Community.

Reminder to those reading:

Do NOT respond to vermin who post phone numbers or email addresses.

HP does not post phone numbers or email in Community messages.

It is true you'll need something -

Solution Centre (or any) software dependent on Adobe Flash is not going to work now that Flash has been permanently disabled.

I used VueScan years ago as a means of testing it - the "free version" was totally unusable since saving the scan included large "VueScan" logos all over the content.  Just a means of forcing the purchase of the software, I guess.  Other than that, it appeared to be OK.  I didn't purchase the software - I assume it is fine.

If it works with your printer (unknown), I'd suggest trying HP Scan and Capture.

HP Scan and Capture - Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Windows Scan – Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Honestly, I don't have a printer old enough to test to see what would be best - or what would work.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Officejet J5780 All-in-One Printer 

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Used HP Scan and Capture, not as much functionality as old HP Solution Centre but, when needs must...

Thank you!!!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was hoping for a workaround, but I'll continue with Scan & Capture.

Cheers...

HP Recommended

Used one of Dragon-Fur's solutions namely HP Scan and Capture, free from the Microsoft Store.  Not as much functionality and will take some time to get use to, no doubt, but it does what I need it to.

I was thinking of investing in a new printer/scanner (do not need fax any more), ideally laser rather than ink jet and my ink cartridges are running low so this may be the time.

HP Recommended

@Pajak282 

@KJay55 

You are welcome.

True - not quite as much control.

Nice software, though.

Example

Scan_and_Capture_Document_Settings_1Scan_and_Capture_Document_Settings_1

What else?

If you are willing  - and willing to sign into the application using your HP Account credentials - you could try HP Smart.

I do not know whether HP Smart even works with your older hardware - but if it does, you will have a nice option.

Side Bar:  Presumably the application works with a USB cable - there are also complaints that it does not do so.  ?  Best option (always) is Ethernet Wired, next best:  standard Wireless

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTES: 

• Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues
  • Latest versions of HP Smart require that you be signed into the application

Problems with HP Smart Windows App?

Can’t log into HP Smart using your HP Account? 

• Make sure you are running the latest (newest) app version.
  • Make sure your Windows Updates in current and installed.
  • Try reloading the HP Smart Application:

Uninstall HP Smart > Restart the computer and log in > Install the application from the Microsoft Store

Settings > Apps > Apps and Features 

Search or scroll down and find HP Smart

Left-Click on the item > Uninstall

Restart the computer and log in

"Get" a new copy of the Application from the Microsoft Store

Example - HP Smart - Windows - Main Menu

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_4HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_4

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Pajak282 

@KJay55 

So, there is a possible actual fix for the old Solution Center - thanks to a Community member:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-Solution-Center-does-not-work-after-...

One member says the "fix" did not work.  ?

I don't have a way to test....

What else?

@ShlomiL has recommended that HP Scan Extended apparently still works for scanning.

This is good news - I did not know whether the HPSE is depended on the Flash component.

The Caveat:  HPSE is dependent on the Full Feature Software (previously "HP Solution Center") - if you uninstall the solution center, you may not be able to reinstall it (since the old Solution Center depends on Flash).

Assuming you still have your solution center (full feature software) installed...

HP Scan Extended

• Download-Save-Install >  HP Scan Extended 
  • HPSE is a subset an older Full Feature Software suite. 
  • HPSE features are very similar to the HP Scan Software released after 2015.
  • Although HPSE appears to be a separate software, HPSE is dependent on the infrastructure provided by the Full Feature Software.  The Full Feature Software for your printer should be installed before installing and using HPSE.
  • OPTIONAL:  Add HP Scan Extended shortcut to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start
    • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Scan Extended\bin
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Pin to Taskbar
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Send to Desktop (Create a Shortcut)
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Pin to Start

• HP Scan Extended features include (and are not limited to): Single, Multiple scans, Image and PDF scans, Email as PDF / JPEG, Source selection, Page Size choices include Auto-Detect (extracts image / document boundary).  Might include OCR (Save as Editable Text).

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Okay, I have now followed several threads, the problem I had was that I am running 64-bit Windows using MS Edge as a browser and I can only turn on 'Ask before running Flash (not recommended)' instead of 'Block'.

I have now installed HP Scan Extended and successfully uninstalled HP Solution Centre with no issues and HP San and Capture - this seems to have functionality more like what I was used to.

Thank you to all contributors

Pajak282_0-1610478854482.png

HP Recommended

@Pajak282 

OK - all good then.

If you have not done so, consider upgrading to Chromium Edge

Download the new Microsoft Edge based on Chromium

Might solve your weird "Abobe" bits issues.

For example:  Settings > Cookies and site permissions > Adobe Flash >

Switched OFF = Always block

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.